Why does my dog have 5 toes on my hind legs?
Have you ever wondered how many fingers have a dog? Maybe I’ve never known that precisely. The dogs have 5 toes on the front legs and 4 on the hind legs.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
However, and it is a peculiarity, we can find in certain races the bad genetic formation of owning 5 fingers in the hind legs . Do not be concerned if this is your case, as we will share with you all the information you need to know what this hereditary disease is and what it should do.
Continue reading this article by YourCatCareguide and find out why your dog has 5 toes on its hind legs .
Common breeds that have all 5 fingers
We can find the fifth finger on the hind legs of the dogs in the genetics of a series of concrete breeds and with motives of adaptation to the environment also very specific.
Both the Mastiff and Saint Bernard can present this peculiarity: they have their origins in the mountains and extreme places, where a good footfall is indispensable. It is believed that this claw that we can observe in the hind legs can serve them to give a greater support. Although actually this fifth finger on its hind legs is different from the rest and weaker since it offers less support than the rest, so there are two reasons for its real usefulness.
Although in some cases we can give genetic explanations, there are more breeds of dogs in which we can find the fifth finger and in these, it is considered an authentic malformation, a genetic fault in the breed that must be removed if it is a puppy . But be aware, this should be recommended by the veterinarian.
Fifth finger problems
The problem with the fifth finger is that it is not clinging to the paw in the same way that the remaining hind fingers are. On the fifth finger there is only a union through the skin and muscle, there is no bone. This can lead to possible health problems :
- When there is no bone that holds the fifth finger, it can come off in many ways that can cause pain in the dog.
- The extra finger, when it does not reach the ground, does not wear out as often as the others, and it does not stick with each step. This causes a growth that has no limit and developed in a circular way can end up hurting the hair and skin of the dog. This can cause a serious problem that causes chafing, pain and, in extreme cases, a possible amputation of the paw. If you do not currently have a budget for amputation, you should make sure to cut your nail regularly and watch it so you know if you are drifting into a problem with serious consequences.
If our dog, for its qualities, is a possible candidate for tender we must take into account that:
- With the exception of the Mastim and São Bernardo , registration societies do not admit and prohibit the registration of the dog with the fifth finger.
- It is advisable to amputate this finger more, since it is useless.
What to do if our dog has 5 toes on the hind paw
When the dog is still a puppy it is advisable to consult the veterinarian as soon as you detect this fifth finger to eliminate it from your hind paw as soon as possible. This will avoid problems and will be less traumatic for him when dealing with a dog.
- It is a simple surgery.
- It lasts approximately 10 minutes.
- It is not painful surgery.
Puppies older than 6 months are not required to undergo surgery. If we do not see obvious discomfort and decide not to operate it we must be aware of the evolution of the fifth finger. But if it is harming you we should consult the vet though:
- The recovery from the postoperative period is slower.
- He will try to scratch and lick so he will have to wear an Elizabethan necklace.
- You will walk strangely.
Finally, we advise all owners who are especially careful and observe and take care of your dog so that the problem does not have serious and painful consequences. Keeping an attentive attitude and consulting the veterinarian whenever you need it will make your dog have a better quality of life. All this will contribute to a healthy and happy dog!
If you have a cat, read our article on how many fingers a cat has !
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read the similar articles as Why my dog has 5 toes on the hind legs , we recommend you to enter our section of hereditary diseases .