Because the character of my dog has changed
Your dog’s character may change due to various factors, experiences and even no apparent reason over time.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
As a consequence they may become more sympathetic, fearful or aggressive, in this article we want to guide you to know what are the causes that can make change or modify a dog’s behavior.
There are very different causes that can condition this change such as castration, poor socialization or other everyday problems. Read on to find out why your dog’s character has changed .
Reasons for my dog to change character and temperament
Your best friend has feelings. Remember that for some causes that have a direct relationship with you or not, you can feel lonely, sad, distressed, worried, tired … The mental imbalance you suffer generates malaise that translates into a change of behavior . The unstable and intense energy we can contain is transmitted and causes negative excitement in the dog.
What should we do at first?
Like your human, the dog needs a healthy mental and physical balance . We must make sure that all your basic needs of walking, play, cleaning and food are met. Both when we get home and on the street, we have to be energetic but keeping ourselves relaxed, showing an exemplary attitude towards him and dominating the situation ourselves. Do not dominate and make your pet want to take control.
What are the most common reasons for a dog’s character change?
- Castration : It is very common for a character change to take place after castrating your pet. We may come across a relaxed and submissive dog or the other way around.
- Old Age : In old age our dog undergoes physical and mental changes as the loss of some abilities. For this reason, we can observe a more aggressive or more passive attitude change.
- Sexual maturity : In this stage of growth the dog explores the changes of his body. It is very important that during this phase continue to support the socialization with other pets, people and surroundings. You must learn to behave in this new stage of your life.
- New pet : If we add a cat or a new dog to the family, it may be that our beloved dog shows jealous or dominating behavior. Although it is normal behavior, it is very important that you respect the new member. It should set boundaries although it is important for him to notice that he continues over (hierarchically) the new family member (new dog or cat).
- Disease : A sick dog may show abnormal behavior. If you believe that behavioral change may be related to some type of illness do not wait any longer and take your pet to the vet.
- Incorrect Socialization : If your puppy has not learned since the baby the importance of playing properly with other dogs, you should teach him how to do it although it is an adult dog. Make sure you foster socialization with other members of your species, including humans. Very important!
- Changes in the surrounding environment : If you have decided to move from a house to an apartment, if you have deprived it of your toys or lately spend a lot of time alone, you should ask yourself whether these can be a reason for changing your dog’s temperament.
- Loss of a loved one : Whether it is another dog or a human being, the dog feels this loss as it is. It is a psychological problem that must be treated very carefully, giving the animal new stimuli and motivations that distract him and help him overcome this thud.
- Baby at home : The arrival of a baby at home can generate many jealousies and envy the dog. Although it is very important that you keep the distance between the newcomer and the pet, you should try to have each one of them have their moment of attention, care and pampering equally. Fostering a good relationship between the two is imperative.
- Aggressiveness : Aggressiveness is a serious behavior problem that feeds back and generates other problems from the same list. Should be treated by a specialist.
- Depression : Various symptoms may indicate that our dog is suffering from depression (lack of appetite, avoidance of jokes, not relating) and is usually triggered for some reason. Look for the trigger of the problem to be able to solve it.
- Anxiety : Lack of rapport with other dogs or an unmet basic need may be the reason for anxiety. Find out what is the problem that generates anxiety in your pet to solve it as soon as possible.
- Bad communication : A dog and its owner do not always get along perfectly. It is important to know and be informed about the dog’s language and how to treat it. If the dog and you are not in tune it can generate confusion and malaise in the environment that will directly reverberate in your character.
- Phobias and fears: It is true that a lot of dogs are afraid of certain elements (other dogs, water, cats, cars, fireworks …) if what causes fear in our dog is inevitable and is present in its environment we should practice a socialization process so that our pet realizes that they should not be afraid of this element, or at least learn to ignore it. Although derive from a bad experience it is never too late to help you overcome your fears.
Remodel the character of our dog
Once the problem has been identified, we must know that it is we who will make our dog’s daily life regain the stability he had before, so that he regains his character and habitual temperament . You should avoid at all costs if the problem worsens.
It can be very helpful to have a specialist to guide you in behavior change problems, to understand your faults and to improve your technique. If you do not have this option for economic or other reasons, you must work yourself and work hard.
As we said earlier, your dog’s character change is due to an emotional imbalance that your pet suffers and may become chronic if it does not resolve it in a timely manner. Avoid at all costs the pull of your belt, aggressiveness, nervousness and encourage more social and relaxed attitudes.
The translation of your dog’s emotions
Many people understand perfectly when they explain that they should be relaxed and firm with their dog, but when they do, they do not realize what these changes in behavior mean and adopt attitudes of nervousness or intolerance in the dog’s enigmatic emotions.
To avoid negative situations and that produce instability we must adopt the language of our dog, so follow the following advice:
- My dog groans when he sees another dog : Dogs are sociable beings that can give themselves better or worse with other animals, remember that they will not always be best friends. If you observe this behavior when you see another pet it means that your dog simply wants to run, chase and have a good time with a companion of his kind, yet he should always take some precaution. Praise your relaxed and positive behavior with affectionate words and treats and never force yourself to interact if you do not feel like it.
- Study your surroundings with your nose : Seeing your dog smelling another dog, a strange person or object is positive, means they want to meet you and should praise you for it. On the contrary it is seen that it studies another dog, person or object with the ear or only with the eyes and notes that they are suspicious or they are showing a hostile attitude. Give a prize to your dog whenever you smell plants, dogs, etc. Although you do not like it, if you are vaccinated you will not suffer any kind of disease. Smell is your dog’s way of communicating with the environment and also means being relaxed. It is very important that you take the time to smell whenever you go out for a walk, so take it to places where you can experience various aromas that motivate you mentally and cause you curiosity.
- My dog stares at other dogs or objects: Although your dog does not bark, growl, or be aggressive, you may notice that you maintain an excessive alertness when meeting other dogs. It has the tail raised and the ears too. Too much time absorbed means that the dog’s anxiety and its fixation by that dog or object are increasing. On this occasion we recommend that you capture your attention and make you disconnect from the stimulus that makes you stay alert. Congratulate him whenever you listen to him and come with you, this is a good trick if sometimes he is a bit intolerant of other animals, this way he will pay attention during the tour, something that is positive for both .
Other emotions of your dog
If the translation of the dog’s language is not enough to understand your psychology and the reasons for the change of character, we recommend that you refer to a specialist or keep on learning to know more about your pet’s attitude and behavior.
Be sure to browse our site to know the different articles on the problems of dog behavior, in all of them you will find diverse and very useful information to solve everyday problems.
If you wish to read more articles similar to Why did you change my dog’s character , we recommend you to enter our behavior problems section .