What to do if my dog is stressed
Knowing if a dog is stressed will depend on each particular case, and sometimes it will be difficult to identify if we do not have prior experience in this. It is advisable to consult a specialist if this problem generates serious situations.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
That’s why at YourCatCareguide we want to help you learn how to identify the causes that cause stress in your pet with a series of tricks and advice to prevent and promote your well-being.
Keep reading this article to learn all about stress and how to avoid it, so make sure your pet is happy and healthy.
How can we measure stress?
Stress combines a number of factors, including adapting to the environment, the needs of the dog, and the succession of positive factors that will brighten your life. In this way, if we do not meet these basic requirements our dog will be stressed .
The well-being of an animal is achieved by complying with the five freedoms of animal welfare which include in summary form:
- Free from thirst, hunger and malnutrition
- Free from discomfort
- Free from pain, disease and wounds
- Free Expression
- Free from fear and stress.
Fulfilling all these needs and observing a healthy dog we can say that it is a dog that has well-being.
How to Identify a Stressed Dog
We may think that we comply with all the freedoms of the dog and that it enjoys a happy life, but sometimes we encounter behaviors that show that this dog is not at all happy, and in addition it suffers of a situation of important stress .
If we do not solve this problem that, influenced by the environment, social and other needs cause a mental problem, we can cause our pet to begin to suffer from changes in their behavior , which leads to behavior problems.
Some clues that indicate stress in our pet are:
- Stereotypies : These are repetitive behaviors or movements that have no function at all. In bitches we can speak of cases of dogs that spin around themselves for hours, this is effectively a stereotypy.
- Aggressiveness : If up to now our animal was a normal behavioral pet and begins to develop aggression in certain situations, they obviously have an impact on our animal’s health, increasing their levels of stress. Sometimes this can be the reason he starts biting even more in the jokes .
- Apathy : Although some dogs show their stress through aggressiveness or extreme behaviors, there are also cases of dogs that show no behavior.
- Excessive activity : It’s not the same as talking about a relentless dog. These are pets that despite being extremely tired are unable to stop their movements and their behavior.
- Use negative reinforcement or aggressiveness : Besides being dangerous not only for us but also for those in our midst, these behaviors generate a great level of stress in our dog. We should avoid all kinds of negative behavior.
- Fear : It can be fear of people, other dogs or we can speak of widespread fear. Those dogs that have had very negative experiences in their life can suffer from fear that generates stress.
What should we do to improve well-being?
A dog with severe problems of aggression or fear should be treated by a specialist because sometimes and due to a lack of knowledge, we may not be acting correct. This way, during the time you are waiting to go to a professional you should follow these advices:
In addition to meeting the basic needs of your pet, it is very important that you communicate with it properly . Use positive reinforcement to encourage those behaviors that are appropriate with treats, caresses and even a kind word. No need to be too generous, showing affection to the dog will suffice.
When you do something you do not like, you should say “No” firmly and securely whenever you are doing this wrong behavior at that very moment. It is very important never to hurt or use electric or identical shock collars, this will only make your dog more stressed.
Before a dog with fear we should seek tranquility and security, for that reason we should not force him to relate or interact with other dogs or people, depending on his fear. When they themselves feel prepared, they will try to relate.
Encourage relaxation both inside and outside the home, so it will be more appropriate to walk your pet in the quiet hours and not encourage behaviors that excite you too much.
We should encourage him to play games and activities that allow him to develop and behave happily and behave like a dog.
Lastly, we mention the importance of spending time with your dog and walking for at least 60 to 90 minutes a day, these are techniques that will greatly improve your stress levels.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read more articles the following may be related to What to do if my dog is stressed , we recommend that you enter our Mental Problems section .