What does it mean when a cat pees in bed?
Has your cat started urinating in your bed ? Do not know how to avoid this unpleasant situation? To begin with, you should know that this is a common problem with cats and that to treat it properly you should discover the causes that caused a change in behavior in your cat.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Knowing why you pee in bed and what situations lead you to commit this act in your resting place will be key to avoiding it.
In this article from ExpertAnimal we will explain to you what it means when a cat pees in bedand we will give you some advice that you can apply to try to avoid this problem.
Why can a cat start to urinate in bed?
For a start it will be very important not to confuse this habit with the marking of territory , a behavior that usually takes place in different areas of the house and not just in our bed. Once this is clear, it will be important to identify the cause that caused the cat to urinate in our bed and that will give us an answer to know what it means when your cat pees in bed. Some of the most common causes that make the cat urinate in bed are:
- Disease : This is the first cause to rule out. Make sure your cat is not suffering from a urinary tract infection or a cystitis. Sometimes, in a picture of malaise, the cat may begin to show sensitivity or dislike to certain things that it did not previously show. Rejecting the litter box and using a more comfortable place like the bed can be an indicator of something not well. So consult your veterinarian to find out if your cat is okay.
- Vulnerability : Recent surgery, a change in your life, loss of a friendship, or many other factors can be a source of a sense of vulnerability. So taking refuge in warm, comfortable places can make them feel good and comfortable.
- Recent traumatic experience : This type of situations can cause our cat an exaggerated reaction, a change of temporal habits and even depression in the cat. If you have gone through a very serious experience you should take this into account as possible cause of urine in your bed.
- Closed doors : Before leaving home make sure that all doors allow you to reach the sandbox are open. This is key so the cat can access it 24 hours a day.
- Tension or bad reaction with any family member : This is another major cause that can lead you to urinate in bed. Your cat may begin to carry out this behavior if he considers that something negative affects his social relations and general state of well-being.
- Do you have several cats? Cats are very clean animals, so it is best to have a litter box for every cat you have at home.
- Bad Habits of Children : Children may not be clear about what their relationship with the cat should look like. Troubling him, chasing him or invading his area with squeals and jokes can make the cat very nervous. You should explain to them that they should let the cat rest and access all places without trying to catch it.
- Does not like the litter box : A box that is too small or lacking the protective structure may make your cat feel a little insecure. If you have recently adopted it, consider whether this could be the cause of the problem.
- The location of the litter box : Maybe you have not been aware of it until now, but it may be that your cat’s litter box is too far away, has complicated access, or has obstacles that your cat does not like to go through ( heat, the presence of people who do not like, other pets, …), evaluate, knowing your character, if the place where the litter box is situated is appropriate for him.
- He does not like the sand : Sometimes we may be offering our cat a sand he does not like. It may be its aroma, texture or any other feature that makes you feel uncomfortable. Try changing it.
- Cleaning the litter box : Cats are very clean animals and having their litter box provide them with a clear dislike. The ideal frequency of washing the box is around 3-7 days.
- Loneliness : Although cats are very independent animals, it is very important to keep in mind that they are social beings who need companionship and affection. If your cat spends many hours alone, he may have adopted this habit as a way of expressing his displeasure.
How to prevent cat urination in bed
If you already know what it means when a cat urinates in bed and why your cat does it, it’s time to start doing something to end this situation which can become desperate. To prevent the cat from peeing in bed we will give you some advice :
The first thing to do is act before the cause that caused this behavior. If your cat is not at ease, for example, by spending many hours alone, try adopting a companion that allows him to socialize or spend more hours with him.
To try to resolve this situation, it is recommended that in the first few days leave the cat in a delimited area when leaving the house. It must be a quiet place, with its litter box and away from other animals and people. Avoid leaving blankets or your bed in this place. When you return home you should be able to go back through the usual areas of the house, you should not feel excluded.
Buy a second litter box for your cat totally different from the one you used so far to see if that is the problem that affects your cat. Sometimes we may think that what he has is already good for him, but it may not be so.
A very effective trick is to change the perception of the zone he now regards as a bathroom for a place in which to feed. As you may know, cats do not like to urinate where they eat, they are very clean animals. Have delicious treats and snacks you can offer when approaching this place. Also, always reward before urinating, if you do after urinating, we will only reinforce this behavior.
If these tricks do not seem to work and you are really desperate, consult an ethologist to help you solve this case with proper advice. Do not forget that the cat is not an evil animal and is not doing this to make you angry. Be patient and help him through this phase.