Train a Chihuahua – Techniques and basic commands
Are you tired that your Chihuahua dog does not obey your orders? If your little companion still does not understand “NO”, there is no way to learn to do your needs outside the house, do not sit or stand still when you put the leash on him or want to cut his nails, then come to the site right!
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
In the YourCatCareguide.com.br we give you some tips to learn how to train your Chihuahua correctly. Despite being one of the most possessive and dominant breeds, training a Chihuahua to teach you the basic commands is not that complicated if you know how to proceed to get a good teaching of your dog.
Characteristics of Chihuahua
To be able to immerse yourself in the techniques of training for Chihuahua, it is imperative that you know the characteristics of the character of this breed of dog. Thus, the Chihuahua is characterized by having a dominant and possessive character, so it is not in its nature to be submissive, it is a born leader. In addition, he is capricious, energetic, intelligent and very active, he is always willing to play with his owner and other dogs of his race.
Knowing this, what attitude should we have to properly educate our Chihuahua?
- We must show an authoritarian attitude without being aggressive and always stand firm. If we say we do not want our little buddy to get on the couch, we should keep that decision and not let them do it once. Remember: the pack leader has to be you.
- Authority must always be accompanied by security . Although you remain firm in your decision, your Chihuahua realizes the insecurity you may have, believing that he is the leader.
- We should not give our Chihuahua every whim he wants. Your sweet and sweet snout can not make you lower your guard, if you want your dog to be well educated, you should teach him to deserve these whims .
Being authoritative is not synonymous with being aggressive. This means that we should never yell at our dog, beat or educate through negative conditioning. With this, the only thing that will achieve is that your Chihuahua is fearful, always defensive and even aggressive. Especially small dogs and toy dogs are highly sensitive to this type of behavior and quickly became suspicious, associating with people something negative.
The importance of socialization
Now that we know how we must face the education of our Chihuahua, where do we begin? Without a doubt, one of the most important aspects of any dog’s training is socialization. Although all breeds need a correct relationship with the rest of the dogs, people and surroundings, it is certain that there are dogs with more predisposition than others and, therefore, they need more attention at this point.
As we mentioned in the previous point, Chihuahuas are dogs that prefer to relate to dogs of their race and, therefore, if we do not socialize them properly they can have aggressive or caring attitudes towards the rest of the dogs. To prevent this from happening, we must start the process of socialization as soon as possible.
During the puppy stage it is when the dogs are more receptive, they create their personality and they adopt a series of behaviors that we must guide if we want to obtain a happy, healthy and, above all, balanced dog. To socialize our Chihuahua correctly we must take into account the following factors:
- To begin to relate the Chihuahua to other dogs or animals of other species, you must choose quiet, well-educated and balanced specimens. A bad choice can trigger a negative encounter, with serious consequences that can mark our Chihuahua for life.
- Let your small size not influence you. Although it is one of the smallest dog breeds in the world , the Chihuahua is perfectly prepared to relate to larger dogs. To deny him this relationship will only cause him to adopt an aggressive attitude when “stumbling” with these races.
- Prepare the meeting in a pleasant environment, where you feel comfortable and secure.
- Although it is small, the Chihuahua is not a toy. Why do we say this? When it comes to socializing with children, it is essential that we make them understand that they should not treat it like their toys, they should respect it and take care of it. Failure to raise children’s awareness can cause our Chihuahua to have a poor experience with them and therefore be afraid of them, even biting to defend themselves.
For more details, see the following YourCatCareguide article where we explain the techniques for socializing your dog with other dogs , people and animals in your environment.
Set the rules
Before continuing with Chihuahua training we must be clear about what we want to teach and what rules we want to impose. In that sense, it is crucial that you meet with the family or the rest of the members who live with you and together decide these points.
To educate our dog properly it is crucial that all members who will participate in their education agree and act in the same way. This means that everyone should use the same words to teach him the orders and be equally firm. If one person uses the word “sit” and another “sits” to teach the Chihuahua to sit, the dog will never internalize that order. In addition, they must decide to which spaces of the house they have access, whether or not they can go up to the sofa, meal times and walk, etc.
Remember that dogs are routine animals and need fixed times to achieve inner stability. On the other hand, because it is a territorial and possessive race, it is essential that you give it a space only for him , where he can put his little food and water, bed and toys. If you do not have this space, the Chihuahua will believe that you have free access throughout the house and, again, you will think you are the leader of the pack.
Correct bad behavior
Each time your Chihuahua does not follow the established rules or adopt bad behavior, do not yell or scold him, simply say a blunt “NO” and correct that behavior. In this way he establishes a Samson according to what happened, such as removing a toy, leaving the park, etc. Very important, the said Samson can not last forever nor can we establish it without correcting the misconduct, otherwise it will have no effect.
Teach him where to do his needs
Teaching your Chihuahua’s hygiene habits is very important both to keep your home clean and to have an educated dog. If your Chihuahua is not yet vaccinated, you should teach him to do his needs on newsprint or sanitary napkins for dogs. To do this, you should follow these steps:
- Choose a corner of your home wherever it suits you. Then put several sheets of newsprint or large paper tablecloths.
- A few minutes after you have eaten or drunk water, take the dog to that corner and place it on the paper.
- Wait for the time needed until he urinates or cracks and congratulates him with enthusiasm . If the vet allows it, offer him a reward as a reward for good behavior.
- After a long period of sleep, you should also take your dog to the newspaper so he can do his / her needs.
- Remove the dirty newspaper and replace it with new ones. When you change the sheets, you should rub the dirty papers over the new ones so that the odor of your urine is impregnated and he remembers where you should go. Another trick is to leave one of the dirty sheets on the other clean sheets.
Chihuahuas have a much smaller bladder and excretory system than the larger races, so the waiting time between eating and drinking and the time of waiting or defecating is much lower. During your first months of life you should always be vigilant so that you can teach to do your needs and correct each time you do not do it in the corner that you have chosen for that purpose.
In that sense, if you pick it up outside the newspaper, you should gently pick it up and take it immediately to the corner, so that your needs can continue there. Remember to disinfect the area to eliminate the smell and prevent the Chihuahua from being able to return to the needs in this space.
After vaccinating the dog, we can begin to teach him to do his needs outside the home :
- Just as you did with the newspaper, ten or fifteen minutes after eating or drinking water, take the Chihuahua for a walk so that you can meet your needs.
- Each time you urinate during the walk, congratulate him or her and give him a reward for his good behavior.
- If your puppy does not want to urinate during the first walks, there is a very effective trick that does not fail. As Chihuahuas are very territorial dogs, try to take them to areas where other dogs might have urinated. Their instinct will make them mark the territory and be “forced” to urinate.
- Remember that you should also take him to the street after he sleeps.
During the first few months you should take your Chihuahua to walk four to five times a day and gradually reduce the rides until the animal learns to control itself and wait until it comes to do its needs. As you see, the outputs are related to the times you should eat each day. If you still do not know the ideal amount of food your Chihuahua needs , do not miss this article.
How to train a Chihuahua: basic commands
Once the rules are established and the learning of hygiene habits begins, we can begin with the education process. Let’s start with the basic commands : “come”, “together” and “quiet”. To educate the Chihuahua better, professionals recommend using the clicker. If you still do not know what it is or how to use it, find out in this article various information about the clicker for dressage .
Teach the Chihuahua to come here
Undoubtedly, this is one of the first commands we should teach our dog, regardless of race. If you do not have a clicker, you can use treats. To get started, you should consider the following steps:
- It is best to practice this order abroad, in a large and forbidden place. The house is full of distractions like toys and food.
- Put the dog in a point of space and move away from him. Put a treat on your feet and say firmly “come” (or whatever word you choose). Automatically the animal will collect the food.
- When you come, congratulate him with enthusiasm and give that reward.
- Repeat the process but without the treat, just walk away from it and say “come”. If you come, remember to give him a prize for good behavior. If it does not come, put the candy again until he associates the “come” with the act of going.
- Little by little, increase the distance and reduce the goodies.
Teach the Chihuahua to walk beside me
This command has two parts that we must carry out to get it to internalize it. Before teaching you to walk with you, you should make him understand that we do not want you to pull the strap or walk away. To do this, follow these steps:
- Whenever pulling away or pulling on the belt, stop. Without saying “No” or scolding, just stop walking.
- When the Chihuahua stops, congratulate him and walk again. So that’s it!
Once the dog understands that we do not want him to pull the strap, we can move on to the second part of the training. Take the clicker with you or the treats (or both), walk with space to observe the dog well and react immediately. Each time the dog approaches you, say the word “together”, click with the clicker and give the reward. Repeat the process by increasingly reducing the delicacies until it internalize the command.
Teach the Chihuahua to be quiet
To teach this eating we should follow practically the same steps as for the previous command:
- To make it easier, start during the tour.
- From time to time, stop walking. when you see that the Chihuahua is quiet, say the word “quiet”, click with the clicker, congratulate him and give a treat as a prize.
- Repeat this process until your dog associates the word “quiet” with the act of stopping, reducing the treats little by little.
- Try to give the order in different contexts so that you internalize it and reward it whenever you do the order well.
To teach your Chihuahua any of these commands should be patient, as this is not a task that can be achieved in two days.
after learning the previous commands, we can begin to teach our Chihuahua to sit down, give up, make up for dead, bring the ball, etc. Continue browsing YourCatCareguide.com.br to discover the next steps and the tips to take into account to educate your dog in the best way possible. Remember that positive conditioning is key to achieving a happy and balanced dog. On the other hand, be sure to consult our article on Chihuahua care and make sure you meet them all.
Also read our article with 10 curiosities about the chihuahua .