Bathing my cat at home – Advice and products
When you first think about bathing your cat at home, the question arises: Do cats take a shower? And here comes the false belief that you should never bathe a cat, something totally false. Cats can bathe if they like it is already another story. However, if the cat is a household animal and has never had an “accident” playing with earth, oil or any other product that seriously undermines his fur with his tongue, the cat can live perfectly without the need to bathe.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
But cats are playful and we may come across a situation where our cat suddenly presents himself with large stains of dirt on his body, something he alone will not be able to clean and that is where he needs help. Cats, like dogs, should not bathe before 3 weeks of age, if they take bath at this age we put their health at risk, since their defenses are not yet fully developed.
Then in this article of YourCatCareguide we show you some rules and advice on how to bathe your cat at home .
Advice before you start the bath
- Cut your cat’s nails . To minimize the damage that the cat can cause in a moment of fear or stress, it is recommended to cut your nails. If you have never done so, it is preferable that they should be cut by a professional, as they may cause damage to the cat, even causing it to bleed.
- Brush your hair. The coat of our cat can have knots, and it will always be easier to undo said knots with dry hair, so avoid jerking during the bath and make the bath experience as relaxing as possible. Take special care behind the ears and the neck, are usually prone areas to create knots in the hair.
- All ready and at hand . During bathing we should not leave our cat alone in the bathtub for just a moment. Most likely to find himself alone and be scared to escape, so before you begin we must make sure that we have everything in our power: shampoo, towels, toys, treats, brush, dryer … Warning:
The shampoo should be specific to cats , it would be very harmful to use our shampoo or shampoo for dogs.
- Bath or container already with water . The sound of water falling through the barrel can scare the cat and stress it, which is why before bringing the cat to the bathroom, should have the bath already with the water ready for the bath.The water should be warm, not too deep (the bowl or bathtub), so the cat can stand or sit and the water does not approach the neck, otherwise it will frighten you.
At the bottom of the bath we must put an anti-slip mat and above this it is advisable to put a small towel for our cat’s paws. So if at any point he freaks out and pulls his fingernails out, he can pin them on something and come back to relax.
- Some toys in the water will help the cat associate bath time with a toy and we can thus give you bath quickly and easily.
- Finally, relax! Everything is ready and everything is ready, all you have to do is go to the cat. But if you go to him, the cat will notice that you are tense, scared and scared, it will not have been served to have your bath prepared, since your cat will notice the tension that will be contagious.
So take a deep breath, relax and go happy to have the cat as you would play with him. The cat will notice the positive and cheerful energy and will gladly go to the bath.
Step by step cat bath and some advice
- Cat entrance in bathtub . You better know your cat, so you’ll know what fun tricks you get into the water (toys, treats, some games, etc.). Try experimenting and try to get your kitten in the water naturally.If you do not achieve this naturalness, you can take it and bring it in step by step, without pressure, without obligation, without fear.
One trick to be able to catch the cat in a relaxed way is to pick up the skin that is behind your neck, called the neck. When you pick up this region, the kitten lets you move to wherever you want.
- Wet the cat very slowly . Once inside the water start to soak it little by little, without rushing. If the cat gets scared, it does not matter, let it relax as long as it takes. It is preferable not to bathe this first time, but to have this first contact, than to make him feel obligated and scared and never to be able to bathe again.If all goes well, we continue with the bath. Never wet above the neck, the head should never be introduced under water, this would be too scary for the cat.
If you already have a very wet body, take the shampoo for cats and with gentle massages go wash your kitten in the direction of hair growth. After being soapy, take the warm water very gently and rinse with tranquility and patience, leaving no trace of shampoo.
Take special care to avoid shampooing in the eyes, ears, nose or mouth. This could lead to some infection.
Now we have your face, since we do not wet it during the bath, but do not worry, you can wash your face with a damp cloth, so easy. Our feline companion will not resist these caresses with a damp, soft cloth on your face.
- Dry it with a towel . Take a towel and drain all the water that may have in your hair, softly and with movements similar to the caresses that normally gives.If your cat is short-haired and is in the region where there is no cold draft, at this point, you may already finish drying yourself.
- Dry with the dryer . But if the hair is long or semi-long and you are not afraid of the dryer, you can pick it up and with the air in a soft and warm function begin with drying your hair with the help of a brush while combing it in the direction of growth fur.On the other hand, if you do not accept the dryer, you should continue to dry the cat with the towel as much as you can.
- Alternatives to bath . If our cat flatly refuses to shower and there is no way to convince him, there are alternative ways to clean the cat, for example using dry shampoo that can be applied with a cloth and so can wash your cat.
- Frequency of baths . We can bathe the cat whenever we want but do not do it more than twice a month.
- Routine from puppy . If you have your kitten since the puppy, although it is not necessary because it is very clean, you can use it from little to the bath, it is easier to teach a kitten puppy not to be afraid of bathing than an adult cat.
- Rewards . Reward your kitten always: with treats, with caresses, with pampering, with words, whatever it is, the positive reinforcement by having behaved well will make the bathing process more and more easy, pleasant and fun.