10 Things That Can Kill Your Dog
The dogs are curious animals by nature and, it is normal that sometimes they end up getting into some problem due to their curiosity. They use their mouth to investigate everything within their reach.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
This can cause them many problems when they find something harmful to their health, especially if we have not adequately prevented them.
To help you prevent accidents with your dog, in YourCatCareguide we will present you with a list of 10 things that can kill your dog , it is very important to take this into account as they can have disastrous consequences for your dog.
Although chocolate is a treat for us humans, it is not a good idea to give chocolate to your dog. In YourCatCareguide we have explained before why the dog can not eat chocolate , because the chocolate contains a toxic substance for them, called the theobromine.
Theobromine is an alkaloid that is obtained from the cocoa plant and stimulates the central nervous system, causes bronchodilation and has several cardiovascular effects. The dogs are not able to eliminate theobromine easily and therefore this turns into a toxic agent for them. It is estimated that only six grams per pound of dog weight can be lethal.
O de maior preocupação é o chocolate preto, porque contém 10 vezes mais teobromina que o chocolate de leite. Os sinais de envenenamento canino por chocolate incluem: aumento da atividade geral, diarreia, vômitos, incontinência urinária, aumento do ritmo cardíaco, aumento da frequência respiratória, tremores e espasmos. Por isso, nada de chocolate para o seu cachorro.
Um bom substituo do chocolate é a alfarroba, um alimento que eles são capazes de sintetizar corretamente.
Who has not paracetamol ever taken? Paracetamol is an excellent analgesic that takes away the headache and other ills of modern life. However, this medicine is poison to dogs .
It is part of the banned human medicines for dogs, and poisoning with paracetamol in dogs occurs because the analgesic harms the liver and red blood cells. As a result, a dog poisoned by paracetamol may die from hepatic necrosis.
It is estimated that 150 milligrams of paracetamol per kilo of the dog is the lethal dose. This means that two paracetamol tablets can kill your dog. So do not give acetaminophen to your dog, even if it damages your head!
The alkalies common in the houses are sanitary water, potassium permanganate and ammonium hydroxide . These substances can be found in sewage fluids, bathroom detergents, ammonia and dishwashing detergents. They are also present in alkaline batteries, including the clock batteries (button type).
If a dog ingest any of these things, it will have irritations and burns in the mucous membranes of the digestive tract: mouth, esophagus, stomach, intestine and colon. These damages are often fatal.
The symptoms of alkali poisoning are: irritation of the oral mucosa, chest pain, seizures, drooling, lack of appetite and slowness. Death usually occurs within 24 hours of ingestion. Be very careful and do not leave these things within reach of your dog.
4. Naphthalene balls
Mothballs are extremely dangerous when they are ingested by us or by our pet. Mothball poisoning damages the dogs’ liver and affects the central nervous system. Its symptoms include vomiting and seizures. Be very careful where you put these balls and, if possible, do not use them.
5. Detergents and fabric softeners
Although detergents can be toxic if your dog does ingest them, fabric softeners are extremely toxic and can cause death . The fabric softeners contain cationic detergents, which are also found in disinfectants and germicides.
Symptoms of poisoning with these substances include: hypersalivation (drooling), lethargy, vomiting, mouth burns, seizures, shock, and coma.
Some mouthwashes contain boric acid , which is highly toxic to dogs. Other common elements in the home that contain boric acid are contact lens cleaning solutions and solutions for cleaning dentures.
The symptoms that a dog poisoned with boric acid can present are: vomiting, drooling, seizures and coma.
Anti-freezers are among the biggest risks for pets. Dogs die every year due to antifreeze poisoning.
Many dogs end up dying because of antifreeze because these substances have a pleasant odor and taste for dogs. Therefore, it is common for dogs to decide to try this liquid that smells so good to them.
The toxic component of antifreeze is ethylene glycol, which affects kidney function and causes symptoms such as: seizures, vomiting and lethargy.
Bleaches and compounds that have chlorine are very toxic to dogs. The symptoms they cause are: vomiting, drooling, and abdominal pain. Never leave these substances within reach of your dog.
9. Fruit Seeds
Many lumps or fruit seeds are toxic to dogs. Some lumps are so large that they can clog the respiratory tract but others are simply toxic .
Two of the most toxic pits for dogs are the peach and apricot kernels.
Dogs, though more omnivorous than carnivores, have not evolved to feed on seeds. Therefore, your digestive system can not properly process these elements. The result can be disastrous, so do not let your dog ingest seeds or lumps of fruit.
Discover in our list of fruits and vegetables banned for dogs other foods of plant origin that can be harmful to your pet.
10. Ornamental plants
Like fruit seeds, many ornamental plants are toxic to dogs and other animals. Although dogs usually eat grass , apparently to improve their digestion when they lack fiber in the diet, they are not able to tolerate all vegetables.
Symptoms that plant poisoning produces may vary depending on the species ingested but generally include vomiting and effects on the central nervous system.
Some toxic plants for dogs are: tomato, spinach, azalea, autumn saffron, avocado (leaves), oleander, acacia, mallard, belladonna, foxglove, hemlock, aquatic hemlock, castor and lily of the valley. There are still other plants that are toxic to dogs, so it is best to prune the garden.