Taurine-rich foods for cats
Taurine is one of the most important essential amino acids for the correct functioning of heart muscle, vision, digestive system and reproduction in cats. Unlike other mammals, cats need the presence of this amino acid in their body.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Unfortunately, cats can not synthesize, from other amino acids, the amount of taurine sufficient for its proper functioning. Therefore, to cover their needs, it is necessary to give them this amino acid externally, that is, through food.
A taurine deficiency can be detrimental to a feline’s health and can produce blindness, heart or growth problems, and deficiencies in the nervous system. If you have a cat at home, keep reading this Animal Expert article and find out which foods are rich in taurine for cat , and thereby maintain the health of your pet .
Taurine, the best ally of cats’ health
As its name says, taurine is so essential, that all cat food must contain it. is an amino acid that is only found in natural conditions in proteins of natural origin and that helps in many ways. Discover the properties of taurine-rich foods for cats:
- Acts as an antioxidant
- Regulates water and salt in whole body cells
- Stimulates muscle growth
- Helps the production of bile
Positive presence in the cells of the retina of the eye (hence the problem of blindness in its absence)
Where do we find taurine?
It is best to give it taurine in a natural way, ie get the amino acid from sources of animal protein, always try to give it organic protein, “friend” of the animal world and good quality. At each meal, a cat should take between 200 and 300 mg of taurine.
- The chicken : especially the paws, where there are more presence of taurine. The liver is also very good. It should not give you skin or fat, taurine is in the muscle.
- Ox or cow : ox liver contains high doses of taurine, as well as the heart, which in addition yields a lot for being large. It is important to know that taurine is lost when it is exposed to high temperatures, especially taurine present in meat and viscera. So try to make some foods raw. Remember to wash and handle them well before giving them to your pet. You should also make sure the quality of the food and the ideal sanitary origin.
- Eggs : Eggs and dairy products also have a good dose of taurine.
- Seafood : Prawns and volcanoes have even more quantity of this amino acid than other animal proteins. These are excellent foods to feed your cat to give a good amount of taurine needed, however we know that unfortunately this is not a food that is within reach of everyone.
Does commercial cat food contain taurine?
Yes, commercial feed contains good amounts of taurine, but this should be high-range and as natural as possible . There are some very good ones that are made with dehydrated quality meats.
Poor quality rations are a bad option for your cat with regard to taurine. They are made of many grains and little natural taurine, and the taurine that they put to compensate the lack, is usually of artificial sources.
When you go to the grocery store or the pet store, check the list of feed ingredients . If you see that include taurine as one of the ingredients, it is a sign that this is artificial because it was added. Remember that this amino acid must already be present in the food naturally.
Do you know more taurine-rich foods for cats? Comment and share with us!