Socializing an adult dog
Socializing an adult dog is a much more complicated process than socializing a puppy. Before starting it is essential that you inform yourself properly and always with a professional because many cases need specialized attention.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
It is important to know that socializing an adult dog just because it is aggressive, to relate to a puppy, cat or baby is not the best option. An adult dog should socialize in a generic way with everything that surrounds him, the environment, people, pets and objects.
Continue reading this YourCatCareguide article and learn how to socialize an adult dog .
Each case of socialization is unique
On the internet you will find a multitude of tutorials and information pages full of more or less efficient advice to socialize a dog, but the truth is that each case is unique and each dog reacts in a different way. For this reason we can state that not all the advice you find is valid for your dog .
Puppies should socialize when they are puppies , since at this stage of their life they do not yet have a definite personality and have no fears or memories that make them refuse or accept certain situations.
We understand as socialization the process in which the dog relates as the environment that surrounds it (which can be very diverse). For the process to be complete it must accept and relate positively:
- puppies for sale
- puppies for sale
Analyze the situation in particular
The socialization of an adult dog is usually more difficult since the adult dog has memories that make him react in a certain way. So it’s critical that you analyze the aspects that you should work with before you begin :
Once we have analyzed the problem in particular, we must ask ourselves why our dog acts this way, be it aggressiveness or shyness. If the dog is adopted, it is likely that it will never discover the factor that triggered this behavior.
To deal with the problem, you must draw up a list of all the behaviors that are worrying you and stressing the dog . It is crucial to know your pet and watch what you do to solve it.
The specialist, the true formula of success
These people have advanced knowledge and real training in the behavior of dogs, and it is by this ration that what we can interpret as aggressiveness is perhaps fear or anxiety, depends on each case.
In addition to solving the situation, the canine educator or the ethologist will answer your questions and will guide you in an individualized way. Although this means a cost, the benefit in the future will be much greater.
Advice for improving the socialization process
In YourCatCareguide we know the behavior of some dogs and the difficulties of living with this type of problem. For this reason, it is important to repeat that it is important to consult the specialist, as you would if you had a problem.
During this process you should pay attention to some aspects so that the puppy notices a real benefit in their day to day and accepts this process properly.
Some advice that will improve the quality of this process are:
- Meet the five freedoms of animal welfare with: adequate and quality food, comfort in your day to day, consult the veterinarian when you need it, let yourself express yourself naturally and avoid at all cost fears or stress.
- Strolling two to three times a day : It is essential that your dog have their daily and appropriate doses of walking because it does not directly affect the socialization process, becoming a dog that lives isolated, afraid and nervous.
- Exercising with your pet : It is a great choice for nervous dogs with large doses of energy; in addition, socializing a dog after exercising is much more efficient since the dog is relaxed and usually accepts new situations better.
- Use positive reinforcement as the only tool in your education: It is critical that you use this process if you are socializing an adult puppy. You will achieve much more effective and fast results.
- Do not beat or scold under any circumstances: Carrying out these kinds of actions will only worsen the socialization process and will create in your pet insecurities and malaise. Stop being irritated by what you do wrong and praise what you do well.
- Anticipating the attitude of the dog: It is important to know your pet and anticipate situations in which the dog may feel stress.
- Always practice with quiet people or pets and have a positive attitude for your dog to feel confident.
- Have patience : Not all dogs overcome one fear or lack, others take years and others simply two or three weeks. It is something that will depend on the specific case and that only a specialist can determine, so if your dog is afraid and does not want to relate to other dogs do not force it, it is preferable to wait for it to take the first step.
- Do not expose your pet to a situation if the specialist has not recommended it, as it can have an unpleasant encounter.
- Accepting your dog as it is is the best advice we can give you, because if you can not solve the problem you will have to learn to live with it and make it as light as possible for the whole family.