Dementia in Cats – Symptoms and Treatment
People who have decided to welcome a cat into their home disagree with this popular idea that qualifies the cat as a petty and excessively independent animal, since these are not characteristics inherent in their genuine behavior.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
A domesticated cat lives on average 15 years and during this time, the emotional bond that can be formed with its owner is undoubtedly very strong, in addition, accompany our pets throughout their different vital stages and during aging , reassures us as owners.
During aging, we observed multiple changes in the cat, some of them pathological but unfortunately associated with old age. In this article of YourCatCareguide we tell you about the symptoms and treatment of senile dementia in cats .
What is senile dementia?
The senile dementia in cats is known as feline cognitive dysfunction , which refers to the cognitive / understanding capacities of the environment that are beginning to be compromised approximately from the age of 10 years.
In cats that are 15 years old, this condition is very frequent and the manifestation of it comprises a great variety of symptoms ranging from joint problems to hearing problems.
This disorder decreases the quality of life of the cat, so it is important to stay alert since understanding the disorder will help improve the quality of life of your friend.
Symptoms of senile dementia in cats
A cat affected by senile dementia may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Confusion : This is the most prevalent symptom, the cat is wandering and confused because he may not remember where his food and litter box are.
- Changes in behavior : The cat complains more attention or on the contrary becomes more aggressive.
- Higher Moles : When the cat repeatedly meats at night, it may be expressing disorientation in the darkness, which causes nervousness and anxiety.
- Changes in sleeping patterns : The cat shows loss of interest and spend much of the day sleeping, and on the other hand, at night wandering.
- Hygiene changes : Cats are very clean animals that spend much of the day licking themselves, the cat with senile dementia has lost interest in his own hygiene and we can observe the least bright and careful.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your cats it is imperative that you refer to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
Treatment of senile dementia in cats
The treatment of senile dementia in cats is not used to reverse the situation, as unfortunately this is not possible and the neurological damage produced by old age can not be recovered in any way. The pharmacological treatment in these cases serves so that the loss of cognition stops and does not get worse.
A drug containing the active principle selegiline is used for this, but this does not imply that it is suitable for all cats, in fact, only the veterinarian can evaluate at home if it is necessary to implement a pharmacological treatment .
How to care for the cat with senile dementia
As we said at the beginning of the article, at home we can do much to improve the quality of our cat’s life , see how to do it next:
- Minimize changes in the cat’s surroundings, for example, do not change the distribution of furniture.
- Reserve a room where your cat can stay calm when receiving visitors, since excessive stimulation in the environment is not convenient.
- Do not change your place accessory, if you go outside, supervise and when you come back into the house, leave it in your space, so that it does not become disoriented.
- By increasing the frequency of play sessions but reducing their duration, it is very important that the cat remain exercised within his or her possibilities during old age.
- Clean your cat with a soft bristle brush to help you keep your hair in good condition.
- Put ramps if your cat can not access the usual places where you used to like to spend some time.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read more articles that may be more useful to you, please visit our section of Other Health Problems .