Kidney ration for cats – the best rations
The renal failure is one of the most common problems that affects cats at an advanced age. There are two types: kidney failure which is usually caused by an infection or the appearance of toxins, and chronic kidney disease caused by tumors, irreversible kidney damage or by unknown causes. The cat suffering from kidney failure should receive adequate food as well as other concrete care to improve their health and increase their longevity.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Remember, the specific food for cats with kidney failure should be prescribed by the veterinarian ! Since this is a product that can harm the health of a healthy cat or one who has another disease. In addition, the expert gives recommendations on how to take better care of your cat and increase your life expectancy.
In this article by YourCatCareguide, we have compiled the best foods for cats with kidney failureand will explain what benefits each one has and why they should choose them. Do not forget to discuss with your veterinarian about your choice and make sure your cat receives the right food:
Feeding the cat with renal failure
Before talking about the nutritional needs of cats suffering from kidney failure, it is necessary to remember that water consumption is vital to promote cat recovery or improve their quality of life. A diseased kidney loses the ability to retain water and this causes heavy urine that leads to dehydration .
Note some helpful advice that may help:
- Regardless of the food, every day, include moist foods in your cat’s diet. Important! Do not forget to choose products that are suitable for kidney failure.
- Renew the water regularly.
- Many cats prefer to use a water source. Feel free to purchase this kind of water cooler.
- Keep your toes and troughs clean and away from the litter box.
- In more severe cases, the use of subcutaneous serum may be necessary!
Now that we know the importance of keeping the cat well hydrated, it’s time to talk about the nutrition he should follow. It is very important to emphasize that feeding is the main and key treatment for treating kidney failure or improving the quality of life of animals suffering from chronic kidney failure.
Diets, whether they are household recipes for cats with kidney failure or a diet based on dry foods, should contain:
- Protein restriction: Lessening the protein intake of your cat’s diet, prevents kidney degeneration. We should consult the vet about the daily amount of protein that the patient needs and also ensure that it is a high quality product. This important detail will help you choose the right ration.
- Restriction of phosphate (phosphorus): As with protein, phosphate is difficult to be filtered by a diseased kidney; in addition, it can accumulate scar tissue in this organ. Especially in cats with a phosphorus level higher than 6.8 mg / dl, the use of chelators is highly recommended as it adheres to the phosphate of food and prevents it from reaching the blood.
- Increased lipids : it is common for the cat with kidney failure to reject different types of food, often causing anorexia in felines. Increasing the contribution of lipids improves the shelf life of foods and helps maintain optimal weight. The animal should eat between 70 and 80 kc per day, especially those containing omega 3 and 6.
- Vitamins and supplements : Consult your veterinarian about the prescription of vitamins B and C (very important for digestive health and increased appetite of the cat), potassium and an acid-base balance control. Due to the acidity suffered by cats with this disease, many veterinarians recommend the use of antacids.
Ration for cats with Hill’s kidney failure
The Prescription Diet range of the Hill brand has clinically proven products that help control the various health problems that a cat may suffer. In addition to the ration, Hill complements each of its products with canned food, incredibly beneficial if our best friend is in delicate health and needs a smooth meal.
The following are 3 Hill brand products for cats suffering from kidney failure:
1. Prescription Diet c/d Frango
The stones or stones in the cat’s kidneys are a serious health problem that should be treated as soon as possible. Without a doubt, buying Prescription Diet c / d Chicken is to acquire one of the best rations for cats with kidney failure since it reduces the appearance of stones and dissolves them in 14 days . It is a very specific product and for a concrete suffering. If you are not sure that your cat suffers from calculations, you should never give him this product. In this case Hill proposes the classic chicken flavor .
2. Prescription Diet c/d Peixe
This product, Prescription Diet c / d Fish , is identical to the previous one, the only difference is the taste, which in this case is fish . Also used to treat kidney stones or stones, preventing them from appearing and dissolving them in 14 days.
3. Prescription Diet Feline k/d
Unlike the previous products, the Prescription Diet Feline k / d is thought to improve the quality of life of cats suffering from kidney failure. It is an excellent product, ideal for the elderly cats because it has reduced proteins and an important source of omega 3.
Feed for cats with urinary problems – Royal Canin
Royal Canin has a number of specific foods that support the various veterinary treatments. In this case, to treat renal insufficiency, we have:
Renal RF 23 Feline
The renal RF Feline 23 is a product especially indicated for the chronic renal failure for the alkalinization of the urine, for hepatic encephalopathy and for cats that have recurrent calcium oxalate uroliths. It has a low content of phosphorus and, in addition, the proteins are limited , which as we mentioned in the previous case, is very favorable for the elderly cats.
Ration for cats with kidney problems – Pro Plan
Optirenal Sterilized Peru
Finally, Optirenal Sterilized Peru has two very important functions: it improves the quality of life of cats with urinary or renal problems and is also ideal for castrated cats . This is a fairly complete product. It is also a delicate food, thought for cats with a sensitive digestion.