Problems in giving birth to bitches
If your bitch is pregnant, it is crucial that you know everything that is important during the gestation of the bitch , to know everything you need and everything that can happen. So that when you start giving birth you are fully informed about the birthing problems and how you should act as the responsible owner.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
In this article we will inform you about the problems that may occur during childbirth and give you some advice to try to ensure that they do not happen or how to provide them to act on time.
Main complications and problems in birthing
If we have followed the pregnancy properly with the help of a veterinarian, it is difficult to encounter problems during childbirth. But some mishap can always happen, and it’s best to be prepared. Next, we will show you the most common problems in giving birth to a bitch and situations that can complicate it:
- Dystocia : The dystocia is when the chicks can not get out without help through the birth canal because of its position or some kind of obstruction. It is primary dystocia when it is the very puppy that is upset and badly positioned to be able to be expelled correctly. In contrast, we speak of secondary dystocia when the impediment is caused by something other than the pup, for example an intestinal obstruction that greatly reduces the space of the birth canal.
- The puppy gets stuck : It may happen that due to the position of the puppy that is being born at that moment or because the size of its head is too large for the bitch’s birth canal, the puppy is trapped and can not leave without the help of the owners or of the veterinarian. It is important not to try to pull the puppy by pulling it forcefully, this will only cause a great pain to the bitch and easily the death of the puppy.
- Brachycephalic breeds: These breeds like the Bulldogs, have many respiratory and cardiac problems. Therefore, it is very common that bitches can not carry out the birthing alone. In addition to being unable to carry out the effort normally due to the deficiencies they suffer, it is most likely that in the case of breeds with a very large head, the puppies will remain in the birth canal due to the size of their head. To avoid any complications, it is highly recommended that in races so a cesarean is planned directly at the veterinarian.
- Problems to get the puppy out of the amniotic pouch and cut the umbilical cord : It is possible that if the bitch giving birth is inexperienced or extremely exhausted or ill, it is difficult to finish extracting the puppies from their bag and to cut the cord . In this case you should do it yourself or the vet, because it should be something quick once the little one is out of his mother.
- A puppy does not begin to breathe : In this case we must act calmly and effectively. We must reanimate the newborn to help him breathe for the first time. It is always best if you are a veterinarian with experience doing it, instead of being us at home. Therefore, it is recommended that the delivery be attended by a veterinarian, at home or at the clinic.
- Reperfusion syndrome : Occurs when a puppy has just left and the mother has excessive bleeding. It is not one of the most common complications, but if it occurs it is highly dangerous for the bitch since it loses a lot of blood at the moment.
- Rupture of the womb : Not the most common, but if it occurs, it will endanger the life of the bitch and the pups. You should therefore call a veterinarian as a matter of urgency. It may happen that the weight of the puppies is excessive for the mother. If this is the case, although there is no rupture of the uterus, there could also be complications since the mother could not expel the pups well because they are too large.
- C-section and postoperative problems : As in any anesthesia operation there are risks to the patient’s health. It is not usual but there may be infections, complications with anesthesia and bleeding. After the cesarean there may be some problem with recovery, but if the bitch was in good health before delivery and there were no complications during cesarean, recovery does not have to be complicated.
- Pre-delivery diseases : If the bitch is already sick before delivery, she will be weak and will have a hard time delivering the birthing alone. In addition, complications are likely to occur during delivery if the mother has been ill for some time. If this is the case, the best thing is that the delivery takes place in the veterinary clinic with everything very well controlled.
How to avoid the problems that can arise in the delivery of the bitch
As we mentioned before, the best way to avoid these problems is an adequate follow-up of the pregnancy of our faithful companion. So you should take it to the vet every month, at least for a thorough review to detect potential problems in time. A number of tests, such as ultrasound and blood tests, should be performed during these veterinary holdings. It is very important to know how many puppies are on the way to take this into account at the time of delivery, because if they leave less and it seems that the process has stopped, you may know that there are some puppies trapped.
The moment you begin to notice the first symptoms and signs that the bitch is in labor, you should prepare all the necessary material such as clean towels, veterinary emergency number, hand sanitizer and latex gloves, sterilized scissors, silk to tie the umbilical cord if necessary, oral syringes to help the puppies to expel the amniotic fluid among more instruments. Thus we will be prepared to go helping our companion in the whole process and in case of complications solve them properly. But we should not intervene in the natural process of childbirth if there are no complications or problems.
Even so, the safest for both the bitch and her kittens is that the delivery be attended by the usual veterinarian and preferably in the veterinary clinic with all the necessary material and knowledge at hand.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to see more items that are similar to Problems with birthing , we recommend that you enter our section on Problems of gestation .