Permethrin poisoning in dogs – Symptoms and treatment

Everyone who has a dog at home knows the torture in which fleas and ticks can be converted , both because of the inconvenience they may cause to the animal, and because of the danger they are to their health and how difficult it can be to get rid of them. dog and even home.

CAT Spraying No More REVIEW

Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.

The drugs and drugs prescribed to fight fleas and ticks in dogs are several, producing different effects according to their level of effectiveness. But, did you know that for some dogs these treatments can be dangerous? That is why in this article of YourCatCareguide we will tell you about the permethrin poisoning in dogs , their symptoms and treatment. Permethrin is present in pipettes, a method you are likely to have thought of using your furry friend without knowing the risk that this might involve.

Are pipettes toxic?

As with allergies, it is often virtually impossible to determine if a particular product (unless you specify it) will be toxic to your dog, endangering your health and your life.

Pipettes marketed to combat fleas and ticks contain chemicals in reduced amounts that become deadly to parasites, and although they are not usually dangerous, it should not be forgotten that, despite being small doses, there is a poison, capable of producing negative side effects in some dogs.

Many pipettes are made by compounds like permethrin , a type of pyrethroid that is highly dangerous for parasites and insects, affecting them when they have stayed in your dog, but either by inhalation or by skin contact there is a possibility of be toxic to your dog.

How does intoxication occur?

Although permethrin poisoning in dogs does not always happen, it is possible for your furry friend to suffer from it if:

  • Be allergic to the active component of the pipette . This can happen either when there is contact with the skin, as if your dog decides to start licking himself at the place where he placed the treatment, by ingesting it by accident.
  • There is a skin wound . When your dog has a skin lesion, the use of pipettes against fleas and ticks is not advised, as the venom for these parasites will be absorbed easily by the body of your dog, producing an effect similar to an overdose.
  • Administering a wrong pipette . If you choose to buy a large dog pipette with the idea of ​​administering it to a small dog, then you should know that this should not be done. Each treatment is formulated at different doses according to the breed, size and weight of the dog, so administering a wrong pipette may cause the treatment to not achieve the desired effect (if you purchase one of the small breeds to place to a dog) or, a dangerous intoxication (large dog pipette to put into small dogs). Do not skimp on what your puppy really needs and offer him the best he deserves.
  • Ingestion of the treatment . As already mentioned, it may be that your dog lick the place where you put the product and this intake has side effects, or even eat the anti-flea collar, which are full of this type of toxic agents.

Symptoms of a permethrin poisoning in dogs

If you have applied a pipette against the parasites to your dog and it begins to have one or more of these symptoms, then it means that it is intoxicated:

  • Excess salivation.
  • Fever.
  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Tremors throughout the body.
  • Hyperactivity or nervousness.
  • Fatigue.
  • Tingling.
  • Numbness of limbs.
  • Excessive urine or loss of bladder control.
  • Irregular or accelerated breathing.
  • Hypothermia.
  • Cramps.
  • Asthma.
  • Itching.
  • Abnormal behavior of the pupils.
  • Convulsions.
  • Pruritus (red skin or rash).

They are quite signs, so it will not be difficult to identify them. They appear within the hours after they have been given the pipette.

Treatment for permethrin intoxication in dogs

If your dog suffers from permethrin poisoning, the best advice is to go to the vet right away . As immediate assistance until you arrive at the veterinary center, we suggest that:

  • Keep calm . If you lose control, this will keep you from thinking clearly. In addition, the dog will notice his state of agitation and this will only cause him more nervousness.
  • If intoxication has occurred by ingestion of the contents of the pipette, never administer milk or olive oil . The effectiveness of this method is only a popular belief as it has a counterproductive effect, these foods accelerate the absorption of the toxic substance.
  • Try to produce the vomit by giving the dog a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide mixed with normal water. If this does not work, do not repeat the procedure.
  • If intoxication has occurred by contact with the skin, clean the area but do not bathe the dog , as many researchers claim that soaps and shampoos only accelerate the penetration of the pipette into the animal’s skin.
  • When you go to the vet, remember to bring the box of the product you used.

If you act quickly and properly, permethrin intoxication in your dog will not be a bad bit, and your dog will recover quickly.

You may also be interested in another article that we wrote about marijuana intoxication – symptoms and treatment .

This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest that you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.

If you want to read more articles the rest of the article may be available in our section on Other health problems .

Emily Harris
 

Hi Guys, Girls, and Cats:-p I am Emily Harris, and you can see in above pic. She loves me I swear. I saved her from a dumpster a few weeks back.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments