My ferret does not want to eat ration – Solutions and recommendations
When we talk about pets, we always associate dogs and cats with this concept, because they are considered companion animals par excellence. However, the standard of companion animals has changed a great deal nowadays, and even the ferret has ceased to be a hunter mammal to become a very esteemed pet.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
It is obvious that your body, your behavior and your needs are very different from those of a dog or a cat, since it requires specific care. With regard to veterinary control, it is also necessary to resort to a clinic specializing in exotic animals.
The feeding of this animal directly intervene in its state of health and well-being, reason why in this article we show the solutions and recommendations to use when a ferret does not want to eat ration , in order to avoid any complication.
Feeding the ferret
This animal has specific nutritional needs, so first check how a ferret should feed :
- It should contain more animal protein than vegetable protein, constituting between 30 and 38% of its diet
- The composition of your food should contain a percentage of fat that varies between 18 and 20%
- Fiber is very important to prevent gastrointestinal complications, it is recommended a daily intake of 4%
- Ferret food should also contain vitamin A, C, E and taurine
The food that must be used to ensure that the ferret receives all the nutrients it needs is the ferret-specific feed , and it is recommended that a dry feed be used as it reduces the amount of tartar that builds up in the animal’s teeth.
Exclude underlying diseases
Anorexia or lack of appetite can be symptoms that indicate a disease and if your ferret does not want to eat ration it may be due to any of the following conditions:
- Infectious diseases affecting the digestive system
- Bacterial or viral infections
- Cardiac insufficiency
- Metabolic problems
- Neurological disorders
- Intake of toxic substances
As lack of appetite can be an indication of serious illness, it is important to consult the veterinarian in the first place . If he suspects of an underlying disease, he will undergo a complete physical examination, a dental examination, and will have tests such as ultrasound or urinalysis to check for any abnormality.
My ferret does not eat because he is sick?
As discussed later, the most common causes for a ferret not wanting to eat ration are not severe, but it is not always so. If your ferret does not eat, and you also notice any of the following symptoms, you may be sick:
- Hair loss
- Difficulty breathing
- Motor dislocation
- Stiffness in limbs
Some of these symptoms, combined with poor appetite, may indicate that something serious is going on, and the underlying cause of anorexia is the cause. Consult your veterinarian urgently!
Common causes for a ferret not wanting to eat ration
In the absence of any underlying serious illness, ferrets shall refuse ration for the following reasons :
- Have difficulty adapting to their taste
- They have difficulty adapting to their texture (in the case of dry feed)
- They are accustomed to a food based on meat and eggs
- They developed gingivitis due to accumulation of tatarate and can not eat comfortably
- The ration provided is not of good quality or is a feed intended for other types of animals
Solving these causes and getting your ferret to eat properly is not difficult, but requires large doses of patience from the tutors.
Solutions and recommendations for your ferret to eat
If your ferret does not eat, it is necessary to apply one (or, in some cases, several) of the following measures until your food intake normalizes progressively:
- Give the animal toys to chew, this will reduce the buildup of tartar in the teeth, preventing and treating gingivitis
- Do not offer ration for cats, it needs a ration appropriate for ferrets
- As a basic measure, it is recommended that you change the type of feed. Ferrets have an exquisite taste and do not get used to any taste
- In order to adpate to the texture of the dried ration, it can be administered in the form of porridge, pre-soaking for about 10 – 15 minutes
- If the problem is that your ferret is accustomed to a meat-based diet, you should start by adding a little meat to the feed and making a moist mixture and gradually decrease the amount of meat used
- If the porridge with meat and ration does not work, it should start with a porridge only of meat where ration will be added gradually
As mentioned earlier, these measures are often very effective whenever the tutor has sufficient perseverance and patience .