My dog chokes on eating
Unlike cats, when you put food in the dog’s bowl, it usually disappears in about 3 or 4 minutes because the dog is a food eater.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Faced with such rapid food intake, it is common for our pet to choke and the most worrying of all is that it leads to a serious health problem. For this reason, in this Animal Expert article we will give you some basic advice that will improve digestion and prevent your pet from choking. Keep reading and find out why your dog chokes on eating and what he can do to avoid this.
Evaluate if the type of feed is adequate
There are different types of dog food , and among them we find dry food, damp food and home diets . They all have different qualities and it is crucial to start analyzing if, what your pet offers is appropriate.
If for example you have decided to give your dog a type of homemade diet, such as the barf diet, known for offering raw food and bones, you should bear in mind that when you are not used your dog may choke on some bone.
Advice to Improve Your Diet’s Assimilation:
- Distribute your food intake in two meals , one at noon and the other at dusk, so your puppy can digest better and more slowly the food, it also helps you not to eat too fast.
- Adding water or chicken broth (without salt) to your dog’s dry feed can also improve your assimilation by not making a compact mass in your throat, it is ideal for dogs with little salivation.
- A moist diet consisting of water (between 50% and 70%) is very difficult for the dog to choke on, it can offer him one serving a day of moist food and another of food (and even mix both).
- Some foods that are included in home diets can make a “ball”, such as rice if it has more presence than other foods.
Remember that you should pay special attention to forbidden dog foods, onions, chocolate or other toxic products can cause you to gasp.
To find out exactly what causes your puppy to choke, observation is key: stay by your side while you eat and see what makes you choke.
If your dog chokes, you need to act now. Read our article about choking dog, what to do?
Evaluate the moment you give the food
Once you have checked the dog’s food, it should be clear at what times you should feed itand when it should not, since the fact that the dog chokes also depends on it:
- Avoid giving him or her to eat after or before exercising, as well as causing him to choke and feel bad about food, may lead to a possible gastric twist .
- Do not offer him large amounts of food at night, it is preferable if you only give him a meal, or at noon.
- Choose the moments in which the dog is relaxed, if on the contrary it is excited can choke more easily.
Just as you should pay attention to the type of power supply, it is also useful to notice the moment it is delivered to you. Keep in mind these tips for better digestion.
Evaluate possible diseases
If your dog continues to choke after following the advice of the Animal Expert, we recommend that you take him to the vet as soon as possible. There are a lot of diseases that can influence the digestion of the dog.
Making an ultrasound is the most effective method the veterinarian has to diagnose some type of disease that develops in the digestive system and even in the heart of the dog (that can affect the abdomen), if it observes a aggravation do not hesitate and take it as much before the vet to treat your best friend.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read more articles that might be less entertaining , we recommend that you enter our section on Intestinal Problems .