My dog ​​ate the Christmas plant – First aid

The holiday season is a favorite with many, not only for the delicious food, the gifts and the flashy lighting, but also the spirit of brotherhood and peace that characterizes this celebration can be truly comforting.

CAT Spraying No More REVIEW

Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.

At YourCatCareguide we know that if you have a dog at home, you will certainly enjoy the joy of these parties, in which you will have the opportunity to be in contact with a different environment and even meet new relatives to play with. However, not everything is fun. There are some risks, related to typical elements of Christmas, that can put our little friend in danger. One of the most common and most striking for dogs is the traditional Christmas plant, which is part of the list of poisonous plants for dogs . So we want to talk to you about first aid if your dog ate the Christmas plant . Find out what you should do to be well informed and prevent the problem from worsening.

You might also be interested in: Mites in canaries – Symptoms and treatment

What is the Christmas plant?

The Christmas or Poinsettia plant. of scientific name Euphorbia pulcherrima , it is a plant that is a common decoration in the Christmas season, thanks to the bright red that gives color to its leaves.

Poinsettia is harmless to humans, but is dangerous to some domestic animals such as dogs and cats. Its danger lies in the fact that the plant possesses some properties that are toxic to animals, so it is necessary to be careful with your dog if you have decided to have one of these Christmas plants in your home.

How Christmas Plant Affects Your Dog

There are several ways in which your puppy can suffer the harmful effects of the Christmas plant. One of them is ingestion, since your dog’s own curiosity can cause him to nibble on the plant and even eat some parts of it. When this happens, the sap it contains irritates the entire oral cavity, which can affect the stomach and esophagus.

Your dog can also be affected if your skin, hair or eyes come in contact with the plant, such as when rubbing against it or approaching to smell it. The consequences can be even worse if the dog shows some cutaneous wound, which favors the rapid absorption of the toxins. This contact with skin and eyes can lead to diseases such as keratitis and canine conjunctivitis .

Despite the uncomfortable effects, which must be attended to immediately, the Christmas plant is not deadly for dogs , although it is capable of causing death in other species, such as cats.

What are the symptoms

If your dog ate the Christmas plant and therefore suffered an intoxication by ingestion or contact with the Christmas plant, will present the following signs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hypersalivation
  • Fatigue
  • Tremors
  • Skin Irritation
  • Itchy
  • Blisters (when the dose ingested is high or the exposure has been prolonged)
  • Dehydration

How to rescue your dog

If you suspect that your puppy is suffering from an intoxication or an allergy product from contact with the Christmas plant, the first thing you should do is stay calm and ensure that the plant is to blame for the symptoms that the puppy is having. How to do this? Very easy: Take a look at your plant to find out if a few branches or leaves are missing, and you may even find bites if your dog has tried to eat it. If it is a skin contact poison, you should determine if your puppy had access to the Christmas plant.

When you are sure of this, it is time to act on our advice:

  • Although the effect on dogs is not lethal, the animal should be treated in the same way. To do this, we recommend that you vomit when ingestion has actually occurred. This will eliminate part of the toxic agent from the body of the animal while referring to the veterinarian.
  • If your dog exposed your skin and eyes to the effect of the plant, you should wash the affected region with plenty of fresh water , and consult your veterinarian about possible drugs your dog may need, such as anti-allergy, eye drops or antiseptic formulas.
  • To combat dehydration, give your dog water to drink and never self-medicate , only the veterinarian is able to determine which medications are most appropriate.

Faced with an intoxication with the Christmas plant, a veterinary examination will be necessary to evaluate the functioning of the dog’s kidneys, to rule out possible complications. In addition, we recommend that you always have a medication that you can give your dog in case of intoxication, which has been previously authorized by the specialist, because the faster you act the better it will be for your bigeye friend.

This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.

If you want to read the similar articles in My dog ​​ate the Christmas plant – First aid , we recommend you to enter our First Aid section .

Emily Harris
 

Hi Guys, Girls, and Cats:-p I am Emily Harris, and you can see in above pic. She loves me I swear. I saved her from a dumpster a few weeks back.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments