My cat is pissing blood, what can it be?
The presence of blood in the urine of the cat is a symptom that usually scare the owners a lot, and most of the time with reason. Hematuria (as it is called in medical language) is a symptom that may be related to many conditions and needs immediate evaluation by the veterinarian.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
To inform and alert you of what may be happening with your cat, in this article of ExpertAnimal we will talk about the main causes of blood in the urine of the cat . Pay attention to the behavior of your furry companion and check if there is another symptom to give the veterinarian as much detail as possible, since it is essential to identify the condition in time to ensure recovery of the feline.
What is hematuria?
As we have already mentioned, the presence of blood in the urine (of red blood cells) is called medically as hematuria. However, there are similar symptoms, such as the presence of hemoglobin in the urine, known as hemoglobinuria. Hemoglobin is the pigment that the red blood cell has in its interior, so that it has to break before and in a massive way, and be filtered by the kidney to be eliminated through the urine. It is necessary to distinguish one from the other and this can be done through a cat urine analysis that only the veterinarian can perform.
What can cause blood in the cat’s urine?
There are several conditions that can manifest with hematuria and hemoglobinuria. However, whenever one tries to arrive at a diagnosis, one usually discards first the most probable causes. But, it must be taken into account that the most probable causes can vary with the age of the cat, the food and its habits of life.
The most likely causes of blood in cat urine are usually:
- Injuries . Usually frequent when the cat fell from a considerable height, in addition to other trauma, there may have been a small hemorrhage in the bladder due to the impact.
- Infections . Cystitis is commonly seen in cats, as well as balanitis in males (infection in the penis). Due to the position of urine elimination, ie, crouched urination, the anal and genital area can become stained and this is the route of penetration of various infections, thus causing the appearance of blood in the cat’s urine. In long-haired cats it is usually more common.
- Gallstones . In the case of the cat, it is because it is an animal that usually drinks little water, if the food is not rich in water and slightly acidic, it may gradually form urinary calculi or uroliths. These rub and corrode the entire mucosa of the urinary tracts, causing small hemorrhages that we can observe through the urine of the feline.
- In long-haired cats it is very important to make sure that the hair does not tangle and does not create nodes around the penis of the males, as it could give rise to infections and necrosis in the area.
- Different hematic parasites . They are usually protozoa that are transmitted through fleas and ticks. When they massively destroy red blood cells, in addition to causing anemia, they can lead to hemoglobinuria.
- Tumors in the bladder . They are not very frequent in the cat, but they can occur. They usually occur in animals of advanced age and, due to the infiltration of the tumor tissue in the vesical wall, can give rise to abundant bleeding.
- Viral diseases associated with immunosuppression, such as feline immunodeficiency , etc. In the animal are usually less resistant to bacterin diseases, observing for example cystitis, which present with hematuria.
- In the case of uncastrated females, pyometra can occur with the expulsion of hemorrhagic-purulent material through the genital orifice, being drawn by the urine.
Consult the veterinarian
Once you know the main causes of blood in cat urine, you may already realize the importance of consulting a specialist. It will be the veterinarian who, through the information that the owner gives him, the exploration he performs in the animal and other diagnostic means (urine and blood analysis, as well as x-rays and ultrasounds), will determine the disease that the cat has and indicate the treatment.
Remember that, as we mentioned at the beginning of the article, giving the cat the basic care he needs and providing him with adequate food can help remarkably prevent the appearance of conditions that cause hematuria. In addition, and especially if the feline is old enough, it will be important to keep up with your schedule of vaccinations and deworming .
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read the similar articles in My cat is urinando sangue, what can it be? , we recommend that you enter our section on Other health problems .