My cat is depressed – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Is your cat depressed? Did you stop eating? At the moment we notice that our pet is sad and does not want to play it is normal to worry, however this may be due to unknown and unknown causes.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
The most important of this process is to follow some basic rules to solve this problem. For this, it is important to identify the causes and act on them.
In this Animal Expert article we give you the answers so that if your cat is depressed , know what to do. Do not despair and keep reading!
Symptoms of depression in cats
Cats, like people, are social animals that are susceptible to emotional problems. For this reason, knowing the personality of our cat is essential so that we can quickly detect a change in your psychological state.
Still, it is sometimes difficult to detect sadness in our dear facts, since they are very quiet animals. It may also happen that we have recently adopted terms and we do not know your daily routine well. If you have any of the following symptoms , your cat may be suffering from depression or simply sad for some reason.
- Lack of appetite
- Low affectivity
- Frightening attitude
- Character changes
- I am prolongado
- Lack of play
Although these symptoms may be indicators of depression in cats may also alert you to the presence of some disease, so if you see that your cat does not eat or with a very different attitude from the usual, we recommend you to go to the vet so that discard a possible disease. Do not forget that the specialist is the only person truly capable of diagnosing depression or finding out a possible problem in their state of health.
Causes of depression in cats
There are many causes that can cause sadness or depression in your pet, but to detect the exact cause we should review some significant factors that may have triggered this emotional problem. Here are the usual causes of depression in cats:
- Change of residence or family : Some people assert that cats are independent, solitary animals, but that’s not really the case. Cats are sociable animals and get very affected when a change of residence happens or they move away from their loved ones.
- Loneliness : Although their character is not matched by that of dogs, cats suffer when they spend long periods of time alone. In these cases it is ideal to offer intelligence toys and even think about adopting a mate. Affection and caring are important to the cat.
- Bad relationship with another household member : Prolonged or recent enmity may make our cat suspicious, isolated, and unwilling to spend time with us.
- The arrival of a baby : The arrival of a baby is a reason for happiness, but it is not always so for everyone. If you neglected your attention to your cat or did not prepare it properly for your arrival it can happen that your cat will feel sad and despised.
- Adopting a Dog or Cat : “Competition” for food, for the best place on the couch, or for your caresses can lead to sadness and severe depression in your cat. Before the arrival of a new member is very important to continue paying attention to our feline.
- Disease : As I said at the beginning of the article, an illness can radically change the character of our cat causing him to be apathetic, unwilling to eat and sad. Going to the vet is imperative whenever we detect any abnormality.
- Stress and anxiety : Scoldings, punishments, mistreatment and even the lack of some of the freedoms of animal welfare can have repercussions on high levels of stress and anxiety. It is important to offer our pet the best care so that you feel happy to be by our side.
- Traumatic Shock : An aggression or a terrible experience can make our cat suffer from depression and sadness. In these cases the ideal is to have a specialist to offer us customized guidelines for the specific case.
Each of these reasons may or may not affect our pet, and only if we know it well can we determine what factors have changed the cat’s safety and tranquility. If these causes fall heavily on cat psychology they can be the cause of discouragement, apathy and even high levels of stress.
Treatment of depression in cats
Depression directly affects the mental health of whatever animal it is. Anyone: a cat, a dog or a human just needs support and care to overcome their pain and forget the whole track of the depression. Do not believe that a cat is antisocial, on the contrary! It is an affectionate animal that needs to feel that it belongs to a family nucleus. In YourCatCareguide we give you some advice to solve depression gradually:
- Talk to him : Although he does not understand you, a sweet and affectionate tone will awaken in your cat the feeling of affection. Avoid scolding and punishing them and provide the best care.
- It is important to spend time with your cat: The contact of skin with skin stimulates your sensitivity and fosters a better relationship between you.
- In order for the contact between you to be enjoyable for the cat to make gentle andrelaxing caresses and massages , although it seems funny or absurd, it is a good therapy to improve your quality of life.
- Spend at least 30 minutes a day playing with your cat. Make a toy with a feather, a toy mouse or a ball. Either option is good every time I played the two in jest. Do not remove the toys if you have them in your mouth, pick them up when he leaves them to keep him active. Discover some proposals about toys for cats .
- Look for a suitable distraction for those times when the cat is alone. You will find in the market several surprising intelligence games that will make your cat spend whole hours finding the solution, the most popular is undoubtedly the Kong for cats.
- Make it feel useful : If your cat hunt a cockroach or bring a dead bird, congratulate him! We know that it is not pleasant (it is more certain that it makes you want to vomit) but although all this must accept it as what it is: a present.
- Increase your cat’s contact with the sun and nature. Receiving sunshine is very beneficial to the mood and regeneration of the cat.
- If your cat has lost someone, whether it is a family member or another pet, you can try to relieve the pain if it is sociable. Adopt a new pet so they have each other’s company and have a best friend by their side.
- Stimulate the cat with cat’s herb , although it should be done with caution. Some cats get extremely excited.
These are just a few of the causes that can trigger depression in the cat, but there are many more. Paying attention to our pet and offering you the best care are the most effective tools to overcome this problem.
Severe cases of depression in cats
If you have chosen advice previously commented on for at least a week and do not notice a significant improvement in your cat’s behavior, you should consult a specialist .
The veterinarian can recommend the use of medicines, since in the market we find variants dedicated exclusively to animals. However, this type of drugs can have serious consequences, creating animals addicted or in need of treatment for life. Alternative therapies like homeopathy can also help.
You have the power to choose what type of treatment your cat will receive, however, you should strictly follow the advice of the professional to prevent the problem from prolonging in time. Do not forget that the more rooted the behavior in the cat, the more difficult it is to treat it.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read more articles that are similar to My cat is depressed – Causes, symptoms and treatment , we recommend you to enter our section of Mental problems .