My cat bites and scratches me, what can I do?
Do you feel that your little pet attacks you? If your cat bites you and scratches you constantly or if you throw yourself at you unexpectedly, do not be alarmed because in this article of YourCatCareguide we will explain everything you need to know.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Next you will find solutions to prevent your cat from biting and scratching you . In addition, we will explain to you the possible causes of this feline behavior. Remember that before you judge your partner, you should try to understand why you are aggressive, since sometimes the cause is in ourselves without knowing it.
Cats express their feelings in many ways, and sometimes what we think may be an aggressive or inappropriate attitude may be the visible face of other problems. Regardless, if your cat does not stop biting and scratching you, we’ll help you solve this problem.
It is important to
Before explaining the possible reasons and some solutions for your cat does not attack you, we believe that it is important to address the issue of prevention. If your cat launches itself to bite or scratch you, there are a few things you can do to avoid unpleasant consequences:
- Your nails : Go observe your pet’s nails and keep them short, so that if an attack occurs, you will not be able to hurt it. Remember that cats nail your nails naturally, but you can cut them without any problem anyway. Learn tricks and advice in our article that explains how to trim your nails to a cat .
- Do not bother him : there are things we know cats do not like being told about, so do not bother them. We talk about for example caressing the hind legs and frighten them. If you know your pet well, avoid doing things that you know will change you or know you will generate an aggressive reaction.
- Divert your attention : Cats constantly use body language and there are very obvious signs that their pet is in a position to attack. If you see that your ears are wide and your pupils are dilated, you are no doubt telling them that you are ready for action, so the best you can do is to divert your attention immediately. The idea is not to rebuke him but to avoid the attack. Other signs are the energetic movement of the tail or specific meows.
Why does your cat bite and scratch it?
The causes of behavior that can be considered aggressive in our felines can be several. Each case has different situations, but we’ll try to generalize to help you understand why your cat bites and scratches you .
- Playful Cats
If you have a small cat you should know that the puppies do not know how to control their strength. Probably the behavior you consider aggressive, it’s just the fact that your pet does not know the limits when it comes to playing, so to help avoid teaching you that your hands are a prey.
Likewise, if your cat is an adult but has not spent time with your mother and your siblings, you may not have learned the lesson of limits. In this case it is not an attack, but your pet does not know how to measure and instead of showing affection it ends up hurting him.
- Stressed cats
A stressed or anxious cat is an animal prone to attack. In these cases it is important to identify the causes, it may be that the animal feels closed or insecure by a change of environment. Cats are delicate, methodical animals, like the routine, so any change in their territory can generate a stressful situation that can trigger aggressive behavior.
- Sick cats
Body disease or malaise is also a common cause for cats to bite or scratch their owners. When a cat does not feel well or suffers from discomfort it is more prone to aggression, remember that you are on the defensive and your instinct tells you that to protect yourself you must attack.
If you find that your cat’s aggressive behavior is related to visible symptoms of some illness, such as weight loss or appetite, there may be a more serious health problem.
What to do?
If your cat does not stop biting and scratching and has already evaluated the possible causes of this behavior that may be aggressive, the next step is to decide what to do. Depending on the causes, there are several solutions to this problem, so give your feline friend an opportunity and try these actions:
- Set the limits : Teach your cat that you are not a prey. Put a good scratcher at the disposal of the animal and have fun playing with different toys that catch your attention. If you want you can make your own homemade cat scraper or check out the best cat toys .
- Correct when necessary : If your cat bites or scratches, respond calmly, remember that chasing or screaming will scare you and confuse you. The most appropriate reactions are to end the situation, not to give him any prize or food after having bitten him, not to give him affection soon after or positively reinforce biting and scratching his toys. You can also say “Do not steady” when he is biting or scratching you. You can read more tips in our article How to Scold a Cat .
- Consult your veterinarian : As we have already explained, aggressive behavior can be the symptom of a more complicated situation. If this is the case, it is important to consult your doctor, who can help your pet feel good and will give you advice so that your quality of life is the best it can be.
- Let it live : Sometimes the best solution to prevent a cat from biting and scratching is to leave the animal quiet. Cats are solitary creatures and quite independent, their ways of showing affection are quite different from ours. So if he bites you it may be because you made him something he does not like, such as hugging him too much.
Remember that cats are different pets from the rest, felines are lonely and express their affection for each other differently from that of a dog. So before you think your cat has a behavioral problem or is an aggressive animal, study your behaviors a bit and be sure to find the reasons for that.
If you want to read the description in other articles, click here . , we recommend that you enter our behavior problems section .