Most Common Pit Bull Diseases
The American pit bull terrier is a very resistant canine breed that only presents specific diseases of its race. It may be affected by the same diseases as other dog foods, but to a lesser extent. The main reason is that this old dog was created for the despicable activity of dog fights. Currently banned, but in many places it still exists clandestinely.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
As a result of the brutal activity for which the pit bull terrier was created, the strength and physical toughness of this dog has been enhanced by breed breeders. Obviously, both physical virtues can only be achieved by dogs that are not prone to disease.
Continue reading this post in Perito Anima and we will tell you about the most common diseases among pit bull terrier dogs .
The diseases of genetic or hereditary origin are by far the most common among dogs of this breed. Usually such diseases manifest themselves in poorly reared animals. Dogs that suffer from this type of disease should not be under any circumstances intended for breeding, as they will transmit these genetic problems to their offspring. In addition, in Animal Expert, in no case we foment the reproduction of dogs for commercial purposes since there are many dogs abandoned.
- Dislocation or dislocation of kneecap . In this disease, the patella leaves the place and or stiffens. The cure occurs with surgery or through an expensive and painful treatment for the dog. It can arise if we perform very intense exercise with our pit bull terrier dog.
- Dysplasia of chair . Hereditary anomaly that causes pain and makes the dog limp. The femur does not fit well into the cavity of the chair. The hip dysplasia is one of the most common diseases in large dogs.
- Cleft lip . This malformation of the lip can be mild or severe. When it is light it does not matter beyond aesthetics, but if it is severe, it causes much suffering to the poor animal. It can be corrected with surgical intervention, but the affected animal, his brothers and parents should not reproduce.
Skin diseases in pitbulls
The bull terrier sometimes suffers from dermatological diseases like any other breed of dog. It is advisable to regularly check your coat to ensure that you do not suffer from any of these problems:
- Atopia . It is a disease that is an allergic response from the dog’s skin to an allergenic substance (dust, pollen, human dandruff, feathers, etc.). It is characterized by a strong itch that causes the dog to scratch a lot and injure the skin with loss of hair in the affected area.
- Demodicosis . Disease caused by the Demodex canis mite , present in large or small quantity in all dogs. However, a hereditary deficiency of your immune system can severely affect the pit bull terrier.
The pit bull terrier is prone to suffer from some degenerative disease . These are the most common ailments in pit bull terrier puppies and they also affect other terrier type breeds:
- Hypothyroidism . This disease is a consequence of faults in the thyroid gland. Usually symptoms appear with advancing age (4 to 10 years), but may also be from the birth of the dog (congenital hypothyroidism), which would be a hereditary disease. Dogs with this change die early. The symptoms of the disease in adult dogs with failure of the endocrine system are the dog’s general malaise and heart problems.
- Ichthyosis . Severe degenerative disease that causes the skin to harden on the pads and a scaly and oily appearance. This causes a lot of pain in the dog when he walks. It is advisable to sacrifice affected dogs to prevent them from suffering. It may have hereditary origin.
The pit bull terrier have more sensitive skin than other breeds, so it is recommended to use specific shampoo and anti-allergy.
The pit bull terrier can sometimes over dietary deficiencies by lacking the malabsorption of some trace elements.
- Zinc-sensitive dermatosis . This lack of zinc causes the appearance of scarring, pruritus, peeling and loss of hair around the eyes and muzzle in the dog. The cause is a deficient absorption in the zinc intestine. With zinc supplementation it is possible to control the disease.
When pit bull terrier dogs live in places with excess moisture they may develop fungal diseases (caused by fungus).
- Ringworm. Dermatological problem caused by fungi. It occurs when the dog is subjected to excessive bathing or when living in a humid and poorly ventilated area. The veterinarian will administer the appropriate treatment based on the type of invasive fungus.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read more articles the following you have read about Pitbull terrier’s disease , we recommend you to visit our Prevention section .