How To Know a Cat’s Age
It is very common for anyone who adopts a cat in a shelter or directly from the street to be unaware of the concrete age the new family member may have. Although it is not excessively relevant to know the exact age, it is important to know roughly how old you are in order to plan your care or food you need.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Find out in this YourCatCareguide article how to tell the age of a small, adult or old cat with details and pointers that will help you figure it out.
Know the age of a small cat
A cat is considered a puppy from birth and up to one year of life . Small cats are especially fragile and vulnerable and should not be exposed abroad until they have a feline vaccination schedule in place , in particular to avoid contagion of any disease.
At this stage socialization begins and they need very specific care to survive. These include feeding, temperature, or sphincter management. At the end of this step is when we should start teaching our cat to use the scratched and the litter box.
- Between one and ten days of life : The cat can not do anything alone. You are not able to stand up or open your eyes completely and depend solely on your mother or caregiver. At this moment they are very fragile and usually have a very thick and short hair. We must provide the necessary care to achieve that survival.
- Between ten days and one month old : From this moment, the little feline is able to open his eyes and begins to show interest in his surroundings, progressively. Although it is not able to coordinate well its movements, little by little it tries to improve its balance. It is the moment when socialization begins.
- From one month of age : The cat begins to develop and to show behaviors typical of the adult age like for example interest for hunting, active games, the corporal hygiene. It will continue to show little coordination in your movements.
- A month and a half of age : This is a very revealing moment, since the cat’s eyes take on their definitive color, losing the characteristic blue of childhood.
- Between two and three months of age : The cat usually weighs between 800 grams and 1 kg of weight. They are practically developed and actively experimenting with the environment in which they live.
- Between the three and its months of age : From the three months the cat begins to show the definitive teeth, that is, much whiter and brighter.
- Between six months and one year of age : At this stage the cat still shows typical behaviors of puppies, but his body begins to reach adult size.
Calculate the age of an adult cat
Adult cats are those that are between one year and seven years of age . At this stage the cat has already overcome the process of socialization and begins sexual maturity, which may involve the marking of territory and the first heat of a cat .
This is the perfect time to plan sterilization, something we should consult with our trusted veterinarian. The adult cat, although it can continue playful, begins to have a more stable behavior.
- From the first year of age : Through the observation of the dentition we can observe a slight blackening of the teeth as well as the appearance of tartar. It’s the perfect time to start taking care of your teeth.
- Between the second and third years : At this stage it is usual to observe even more tartar in the cat’s dentition; however, it can sometimes be difficult to observe, especially if you have done the correct dental hygiene or if the previous owner has done so .
- Between the fourth and the seventh year : Your teeth begin to wear out and the accumulation of tartar is very evident; in addition, your gums begin to get pigmented.
Know the age of an elderly cat
Older cats often show a much more relaxed lifestyle. It is estimated that they reach this stage with seven or eight years, still, surpassing this age some may seem very young and to be active, will depend on each cat. However, older cats spend more hours sleeping, resting and usually start to suffer from diseases typical of the age as loss of vision, kidney problems, muscle pain …
It is very important to know the care of the elderly cat well , since it will require a specific feeding, a comfortable place to sleep, among other care. See below how to discover the age of a cat, in this case an old cat:
- Between the age of seven : The cat begins to get more lazy and it is customary for the pigmentation of the nose or gums to continue. Also beginning to appear the first diseases of the age, but at first glance remains a normal adult cat.
- Between ten and fifteen years : At this stage the accumulation of tartar in the cat’s teeth is very evident. In addition to the dental hygiene or the care we may have given you, your teething shows clearly the passage of time. They begin to lose weight and lose muscle toning and you can see a trace of the bundles.
- Between the ages of fifteen and twenty : In this stage of cat old age, it is quite evident that in addition to the health problems that may have, we can observe the appearance of white hairs. It is common for them to lose weight and their appearance is slightly awkward, just as you may also notice an overgrowth of nails.