How to teach my cat to sleep on the road
If you have a cat at home, then it is no secret that these animals, as well as beautiful and good company, are also dominant beings and in some cases even capricious, so it is important that from the beginning establish the minimum rules of coexistence with them.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
It is very common to hear from people who have cat complaints about how they will not let them sleep in the morning or that they just do not know what to do for the cat to get used to sleeping on their bed and not at other places in the house.
That’s why in YourCatCareguide we’ll give you some advice on how to teach your cat to sleep on the walk , so that finally your feline understands what your resting space is.
Why does not my cat want to sleep?
Cats are independent animals that spend around fifteen hours of the day sleeping, so it’s no wonder they change places to rest and explore new surfaces on which they can sleep comfortably.
However, many cat owners preferred that they sleep in the beds they bought for them, mainly to avoid taking their naps on furniture, tables and human beds.
First you must understand that if your cat does not want to sleep, it does not mean that he does not like it, but rather that other surfaces are more what felines look for when choosing a space to rest: warmth, comfort and safety .
That’s why some cats choose their place to sleep on furniture or tables, or even on their bed. In the first two cases, the decision is usually related to the comity that these spaces provide and even the height they provide, since cats feel safer when they sleep in high places that protect them from predators.
If you want to sleep in your bed, this can be for deeper reasons:
- The cat feels safe with you, so look for your protection at bedtime.
- Consider it part of your pack, so sleeping near you is normal, since that’s how the kittens rest.
- Prefer the height of your bed, as it gives you superiority in the face of possible threats.
- Look for your body heat, because the temperature of your body goes down while you sleep.
- Miss you, especially if you spend a lot of time away from home, so take advantage of the night hours to be close to you.
Despite these reasons, many cat owners prefer that their furry one does not sleep in the cushions of the room and much less with them, or because it causes them allergy, because their partner does not like, for hygiene reasons or because the cat is just as active at night that does not let them sleep.
Choose a suitable bed
The first step for your cat to want to sleep on his bed is to choose one suitable for him. From the moment you know you will have a cat at home, you need to choose a space to set up the path and get one, either by buying one or making one yourself with a box, for example.
Regardless of whether you are going to buy one or do one, you should consider the following factors:
- Size : Cats need room to turn around and stretch , so you should consider enough size for your cat to do this, but without the bed being too large, so it will not suit you either. The idea is that you can stretch and feel protected at the same time.
- Hygiene : Get a bed that is easy to wash , to eliminate odors, hair and bacteria that can cause infections.
- The material : some beds are made of wool and others are composed of foam, but the truth is that there are a multitude of models and materials. You should choose one that is comfortable for your cat considering the place where the bed will be (to know if it should be hotter or cooler) and the climate, because there are thermal pads to protect it in the cold.
- The form : you will find open beds, high, cushions and small burrows , so you should observe the tastes and habits of your cat to choose the correct one. If you prefer to sleep strained, a spacious bed will be ideal, but if on the contrary, you like to dominate the space, a high bed or even a cushion placed on a shelf, will be the best choice. And if your cat prefers hiding to sleep then you should opt for a burrow.
The most important thing is to understand that your cat should feel comfortable and safewhen using your bed. However, if after choosing the ideal bed you can not make it use it, follow the following advice that we will give you.
Tips for your cat sleeping on the road
If it is decided that the cat should sleep on his or her walk, the training for this should begin from the moment the cat arrives home. However, if you already have an adult feline and now you want to learn how to use your bed, with patience this is also possible, so do not worry.
- Place your bed in a fixed place of the house , preferably in a corner where the cat is already in the habit of sleeping. If your pet prefers this way and the weather permits, look for a hot spot.
- If you like sleeping on the heights , get a bed with a stand or put your on a bookcase or chair. Make sure you have the proper support to prevent accidents.
- In the hours of the day when the cat wakes up, enjoy playing with it and tiring it , to feel exhausted at night. You should never wake him from his daytime naps.
- If you do not want to get into your bed, keep the bedroom door closed at night , regardless of the animal’s mewing. If you insist and do not go to sleep, put it on your own and caress it. Repeat this for several days in a row.
- To feel better, you can leave a piece on the path with your scent , so the cat will feel safe.
- Leave treats as positive reinforcement on the road to relate to being in it with the prizes.
- When you notice that you are going to bed alone, pet him and praise his behavior to understand that being there is good.
- Avoid giving him too much food before going to sleep , as this will only make him hyperactive. A light dinner and a small play session is best for a restful sleep.
- Both to prevent him from climbing into his bed and to other spaces where he does not want him to sleep, try to generate some unpleasant sound when climbing to these places, it can be with a bell or with coins. This will get him to relate that place to that unpleasant sound. Do not let him notice that it is you who are making this sound, otherwise it will not work.
- Never mistreat him or use violence to try to educate him.
With patience and love you will see how these advices will cause your cat to sleep on his bed and then repeat them for several days. In addition, you must be firm because a moment of weakness will only confuse you.
Always remember that a healthy cat, with all your vaccinations and your veterinary checkup on time, will not transmit any illness to you if it sleeps with you.