How to leave my dog alone at home
You may not be aware of this, but have you stopped to think about how your dog feels when you leave? Many pets bark without stopping, others cry for hours. This kind of attitude towards our exit is known as separation anxiety .
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
They can suffer from separation anxiety all kinds of dogs, regardless of age or breed, although a difficult past or still be a puppy can make this problem worse. An example of this is the case of adopted dogs.
One of the reasons for the anxiety is that when we were a puppy we had not been taught how to manage solitude. So in this article of YourCatCareguide we will explain how to leave your dog alone at home . And, as always, with many tips and advice to get it easily.
Leave the dog alone at home step by step
Teaching a dog to be alone at home is very important. If the dog learns to be without you from the beginning, you will not suffer so much every time you leave home and will lessen your chances of suffering from separation anxiety .
You should start this process at home. The dog has to learn that there is a time for every thing : there is time to play, there is time for caresses and there are times when you can not watch it.
As always, you should do this little by little:
- To begin with, you should be clear that dogs appreciate routine and consistency. If you have a set time for the ride, the play and the meal, you are likely to understand more easily at what times you should be alone.
- The first step is to walk around the house, where the dog sees it, but without paying attention to it. Not for very long periods of time, simply start working or doing anything. It is possible that the dog asks for your attention, do not scold him, just ignore him. There will come a time when you will tire and assume that now is not your time. Then you can call him and give him all the caresses of the world.
- Try to be in different rooms. Stay awhile in a room and then come back. Increase the amount of time you are in this room slowly. Your dog will understand that it is there, but that it has more things to do.
- Do the same going in and out of the house a short time for a few days until your puppy understands that sometimes “you leave” but then comes back.
Remember that these points are very important because without realizing we cause in our dog dependence on us. When they are puppies, it’s just pampering, caressing and joking, we’re 24 hours with them. You have to realize that your dog does not understand that there are weekends, holidays or Christmas.
Set rules early on so your dog knows what to expect. Part of the dog’s anxiety is because it does not understand why you leave and leave you alone. If we put ourselves in the head of a dog in this situation, surely we see questions of this genre: “have you forgotten me?”, “Will you return?”.
Leaving an adult dog at home step by step
In particular, shelter dogs or those adopted in adulthood often suffer greatly when we leave them alone at home. It is critical to gain the dog’s confidence with positive reinforcementand daily care to establish a routine.
How to help you understand that you will have to be alone at home:
- Just as we would with a puppy, we should start leaving it alone for small periods of time while we are in the same room. Changing rooms or starting to study without paying too much attention are some of the first steps.
- Progressively you should leave more time alone, either while you are in another room or shopping at the supermarket. Try to start at the beginning for very little time and gradually increase.
- Plan your dog’s daily routines including outings, meals and play time. If you are always there, showing you confidence in your usual routine, your dog will accept it better than sometimes leaving it alone.
Tips for leaving a dog alone at home
- There are no compliments or goodbyes. If your dog relates certain words or gestures to the time of your departure, you will be tense ahead of time.
- Organize your dog’s hours before you go. It will be essential that you leave the house leaving you already paced, exercised and with the meal given, in this way is likely to go to sleep. Any unmet need can make you feel uncomfortable, sad and abandoned.
- Create a shelter or a special bed where you feel protected and comfortable. Although it seems very simple an intimate and protected place will make your dog feel better.
- You can warm your shawl with the dryer before you leave or put a hot water bottle. That extra warmth will be very pleasing to him.
- Think about adopting a second dog. The truth is that a puppy couple can really like each other and keep each other company, relieving their stress. Go to a refuge with your dog to see if it befriends another.
Toys That Can Help You Be Lonely
Surely I had already found it strange that he had not yet mentioned the subject of puppies toys, but here it is.
In the same way that you try to entertain yourself so you do not get bored, with social networks, sports, reading the YourCatCareguide, etc., your dog also needs to be distracted.
There are a lot of toys on sale for them. See what your pet has more fun with which toys spend more time entertaining . This will give you a great reference to choose which are the most suitable (with or without sound, fabric, balls, …). In addition to toys, there are bones for puppies and adult puppies. There are several that are long lasting, if your puppy likes them you are guaranteed to be having a good time entertained.
But there is a special toy for this case: the kong . It is a toy that stimulates the curiosity and intelligence of the dog to entertain itself during a good time trying to take the food of the interior of the kong. You can fill it with pate, with ration or with goodies. Also, it is a 100% safe toy so you should not worry about leaving it with it, there is no risk whatsoever.