How to Give a Dog Liquid Medicine
Sharing your life with a dog is a big responsibility. In fact, if you live with one of them you have already realized the care they need, in addition, are susceptible to suffer various diseases and however much it may need pharmacological treatment. Obviously you can not self-medicate your dog since it risks giving you some prohibited medicine , so this article is for those remedies that the veterinarian has prescribed for a certain health problem.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
If it’s syrup, do you know how to give a dog liquid medicine ? In this article of YourCatCareguide we show you how to do it properly.
The type of medicine influences the form of administration
If the veterinarian has prescribed a syrup for your dog you should know that there are different types of liquid medicines and that this has a slightly influence on how we should administer it.
We can distinguish mainly two classes of syrup :
- Solution : The main active ingredients of the drug are already completely dissolved in the liquid, so the syrup should not be shaken before being given.
- Suspension : the active ingredients of the drug are “suspended” in the liquid, this implies that in order for the prescribed dose to truly contain the necessary remedy, it is imperative that the bottle is shaken before the medicine is given to the dog.
Generally, this data is indicated on the medicine package, in the same will also find other information that is essential to know: if the syrup can remain at room temperature, or if instead, it should be kept in the refrigerator.
How NOT to give your dog the liquid medicine
To avoid any mistake in taking the drug, then we show you what actions you should not carry out under any concept, as they may cause your puppy to not receive the medicine he needs to recover or to keep his Cheers.
What you should not do is the following:
- Do not mix the medicine with drinking water , as it will not be possible to control if your puppy takes the required dose.
- Do not add the liquid medicine over the food as it is possible for your dog to start eating but then you will notice that there is a change in taste and no longer ingesting the food. In this case, how could you prove how much medicine you took?
- Do not mix liquid medicine with any type of juice . In addition to your puppy should not consume sugar, you should know that some acids and components present in these drinks may interact with the remedy.
The best method: fast and stress-free
Next we show you how to give your dog a liquid medicine in the simplest way possible for you and for him.
This is a veterinarian-recommended method , which I was able to experiment with in my own dog with highly satisfactory results.
- Try to keep your dog calm and in a fixed position.
- Charge the required dose of the medicine in a plastic syringe, obviously without the needle.
- Approach your dog sideways, stay calm so you do not change it.
- Hold your snout with your hands and insert the plastic syringe through one of the sides of your jaw , quickly pushing the plunger so that all the medicine reaches your mouth.
The stress that this trick to give syrup to your puppy begets is minimal, although later it is recommended that you stay by your side and caress it to calm down, this way, then return to normal.
Obviously, if your dog is aggressive it is recommended that before putting this procedure into practice you put a simple muzzle, which allows the introduction of the syringe. And if what you care to know is how to give a pill to a dog , do not miss our article.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you wish to read the similar products to How to give liquid medicine for dogs , we recommend you to enter our section of Other health problems .