How to get a puppy in the transport box
Accommodating a dog with the transport box is a relatively easy and very useful process when traveling with the dog by car, plane or other means of transportation. In addition to being the safest means of transportation, carrier use is indicated in other cases, such as when the dog is afraid .
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Discover in this article of YourCatCareguide how to accustom the dog to a carrier and what basic advice you should follow. Keep reading!
How long can the dog be in the transport box?
The carrying case is the ideal tool to carry a dog. Nevertheless, when leaving the dog inside a cage, if you exceed time, it can adversely affect animal welfare , causing stress and anxiety. For this reason it is important to know how many hours the dog can be in a cage.
An adult dog can be a maximum of 2 to 3 hours in a cage. After this time, it is essential to allow him to go outside to urinate, drink water and stretch his legs for at least 15 minutes. On the other hand, a dog should not spend more than two hours locked inside a transport box without eye contact and supervision.
Associate the transport box positively
We will explain to you, step by step, how to teach your dog to use the transport box and associate it with positive moments. For this, you should use positive reinforcement . You should always have snacks or snacks suitable for dogs as they will be very useful:
- To get started you must disassemble the carrier and place the carton in a large place of the house, such as the living room. You can leave the carrier there permanently, until you finish training your dog or you can pick up and drop it every time you need to work. Our recommendation is that you leave it there permanently.
- Let your dog smell the carrier and in no case you can force him into it. The goal is for the dog to come in by himself.
- You should make the transport box a comfortable and comfortable place. For this, you can put a cushion or a blanket inside. You can also use synthetic pheromones for dogs that are very positive for nervous dogs or suffering from anxiety.
- Each time your dog approaches the transport box you should reward him with a snack. In this way, your best friend will understand that as you approach this object, you are rewarded.
- If your dog is interested in getting on the carrier, you should do a training exercise called ” searching” (spreading snacks around the transport box and even letting in some treats .) If your puppy is not interested in these awards, look for others of more value to it.
- Each time your puppy enters the carrier, reinforce your voice as well . A “very good” one may be enough for it to begin positively associating this transport tool.
- Later on, when the dog gets into the carrying box, you can put toys or snacks inside that last longer. You must mount the transport box at this point, so that it becomes habitable to the complete structure.
- Throughout the process, you can never forget to reinforce with the voice, caresses and snacks.
- When the dog starts spending more time inside the carrier, start working with the door: you should open and close while offering the prizes for it. This step should take a few days to close the door completely.
- Once your dog has no problems with opening and closing the door, you can close the door for a short period of time, such as one or two minutes. You can leave rewards inside to distract him and he continues to associate the process in a positive way.
- Now it’s a matter of gradually increasing the time .
If you notice that your dog tries to get out of the shipping box, it means you went too fast. You should go back and remember that this is a long process that usually lasts between one and three weeks.
Different uses of the transport box for puppies
In addition to being useful when traveling , the transport box can also be indicated in other circumstances. For example, you can use the transport box as a bed when traveling.
Also, if your dog is afraid of thunder , for example, and has a well-connected transport box, it is preferable that he stay in there instead of hiding in a room without a haven for him to feel comfortable. In this case, the transport box can be used as a ” nest ” for the dog to take refuge whenever he is afraid . Under no circumstances should you hold it inside. The door should always remain open, otherwise the levels of stress, anxiety and fear can fire.
It may also be interesting to use the carrier in cases of dogs suffering from separation anxiety . The dogs can associate the cage to a comfortable place of refuge. In this case it is also not advisable to close the cage . It should be used only as a positive tool.
What is the best dog carrier?
Ideally, especially for travel, you opt for a hard and sturdy transport cart , which can not be broken or dismantled in the event of an accident. The most used are the harder, more economical plastic transport boxes . You can also find for sale aluminum boxes , much safer, but also more expensive.
If you want to read the similar articles in How to get used to the dog in the transport box , we recommend you to enter our section of Basic Education .