How much and how often should my dog eat
Two of the most common doubts about dog feedingare: How much should my dog eat? And how often should I feed it? The answers to these two questions depend on many factors such as the age of the dog, his level of physical activity, diseases or clinical conditions that he can present, the dog food he gives him, etc.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
The best person to indicate how much and how often to feed your dog is undoubtedly your veterinarian, especially if we talk about a puppy dog or an older dog. However in the YourCatCareguide we offer you some advice that can help with regard to the schedules and quantities of food for your pet.
Find out how much and how often you should eat your dog next.
How to choose a good dog food?
To begin with you should know that the dog, regardless of his age or race, will need a quality feed , whether it be ration or home food. If you are in doubt you can always go to a veterinarian to orient you, but the basics will be guided by your size and physical activity.
For example, in the market there are specific diets for giant dogs that have a high calcium content. This is perfect since it helps to strengthen the bones that will have to bear much weight. Do not forget that there are many different varieties:
- Puppy or puppy
- Toy dogs
- Small dogs
- Medium dogs
- Big dogs
- Giant dogs
Remember that the dog is an animal that thanks routine and constancy. This helps you to orient yourself and to feel comfortable in your environment. For this reason it is advisable to always choose the same times and places for meals. Whether it’s one, two or three times. Properly choosing our dog’s ration is vital, you should know that many dogs do not want to eat ration since this is not the right fit for them or is of low quality.
You can always combine the feed with a little homemade food or damp food.
How much time should a dog eat?
Generally speaking, the frequency with which you should feed your dog is greater when it is a puppy and decreases to the average that is growing. Unless your dog has a clinical condition that requires different frequencies, you can use the following recommendations as a general guide:
- Puppies up to 8 weeks old : until 8 weeks of age, puppies feed on breast milk, so they should be with their mother and their siblings. Separating them prematurely is detrimental to good socialization , and in addition, artificial food, such as artificial breastmilk, does not provide adequate protection for the puppy.From the third or fourth week you can begin to offer the puppies semi-solid bites so that they get accustomed to solid food. To do this, you can mix some dog food with water.
From six weeks on, dogs can be fed dog food about 4 times a day (see your veterinarian for food), but you should still be able to drink your breast milk. Remember to always choose a food of quality and adapted to its size.
- Puppies 2 to 3 months old should receive food at least 4 times a day. In some very small breeds, such as Chihuahuas or Yorkshire Terriers, it may be necessary to feed the dogs about 5 times a day to avoid hypoglycemia.
- Puppy 3 to 6 months old : at this stage the dog is already used to solid food. You should start reducing your usual dose for smaller meals. They should receive food 3 times a day.
- Puppies from 6 months to 1 year old : At this time your dog should already start receiving food only twice a day. This will help keep schedules better and adapt to your next adult life.
- Dogs over 1 year old : from one year of age, the dog can eat once or twice a day. For some people it is more convenient to feed their dogs only once a day, while others find it best to feed them the same ration but distributed in the morning and in the afternoon.
The stage of the dog is very important for a development. This means that a quality ration, an adequate routine and moderate ration will be essential. Do not forget to go to the vet to make sure your dog is developing well.
How much time should an adult dog eat?
Adult dogs can feed without problems in one or two meals a day . At this stage, your digestive system is stronger and stable, and unlike other animals, the dog does not need to eat regularly to keep his intestinal transit active.
Do not forget to occasionally vary your menu so that you feel motivated and happy to receive food you like. On the other hand, in the adult dog’s diet, we must include prizes that we use to reward him using positive reinforcement .
You can offer your dog all kinds of snacks if he is healthy and consider that he completely burns this caloric intake. However, if in doubt, you can opt for low-calorie snacks . Although these are usually slightly more expensive, they are very beneficial for preventing obesity in dogs.
The right amount of food for the dog
On average, adult dogs eat around 2% or 3% of their body weight each day. However, this depends on the age of the dog, the calories of the food in question, the physical activity it does with your dog and the great weight for its size and physical context.
As it is not possible to give general information for all these factors, the dog food packages themselves offer general recommendations based on dog weight . Use these recommendations as a general guide and from them decide whether to give a little more or a little less than the one indicated on the package. Note that the very active dogs (for example, doing sports coo the agility or leave to run with you), need a little more food than dogs that do not do much physical activity. Always check the packaging of your pet’s food and follow the marked instructions.
Either way, it’s important that you weigh your dog once a month to see if it keeps, reduces, or raises your weight. If you think your dog has weight problems or have any questions about the amount he should give you, consult your veterinarian.