How do I know if my dog is overweight?
Overweight and canine obesity are diseases that are growing, which becomes very dangerous, since overweight can act as a trigger for other diseases such as diabetes or joint problems.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Do you train your dog with food? If you do it regularly you may have noticed changes in both your structure and your behavior, since an overweight or obese dog, far from being gentle, is an animal that can not achieve the full quality of life it deserves .
Ever wondered, how to know if my dog is fat? If you have this doubt it may be that your puppy is not at his ideal weight. In this Animal Expert article we show you how you can find out.
Evaluate overweight in dogs
Being overweight is the previous state of obesity, so timely detection is essential to prevent obesity and help our dog regain his ideal weight in a simpler way.
The physical signs of being overweight:
- The base of the tail is thickened and presents a moderate amount of tissue between the skin and the bone.
- The ribs feel difficult and are covered by a moderate layer of fat or fatty tissue.
- Although the bone structures are still palpable, the bony ends are also covered by a moderate layer of fat.
- The back shows a slight enlargement when viewed from above
- Waist shape is sparse or absent when dog is seen from side
Evaluating Obesity in Dogs
Obesity in dogs is a truly serious illness and if a dog is obese it is very easy to observe how his attitude changes, does not tolerate only physical exercise and remains tired all day.
The Physical Signs of Obesity:
- The ribs are not seen in the naked eye and are also very difficult to palpate since they are covered with a very thick layer of adipose tissue
- The bony ends are covered by a thick layer of adipose tissue
- The tail remains thickened and underneath the skin is a significant layer of fat
- The dog has no waist when viewed from the back and in addition can be observed a very large belly and a very wide back, this when the dog is seen from above.
How do I get my dog to have an ideal weight?
Proper nutrition and daily practice of exercise are essential for your dog to maintain a good weight, thus contributing to an improvement in his quality of life. It is through eating and exercising that you will get your puppy to lose weight .
Obviously, to assess the suitability of your dog’s weight should always take into account its constitution , since the constitution of a greyhound will never be the constitution of a much more robust farmer.
The signs that indicate that your puppy has an optimum weight are the following:
- The ribs can be easily probed and covered with a layer of light fat.
- Bones and bony extremities can be easily palpated and the fat that covers them is light on the bones and minimal in prominence.
- A well-proportioned lumbar waist can be easily noticed when your dog is seen from above.
- The base of the tail has a smooth contour.
If you have questions about your dog’s nutritional requirements, the physical exercise you need or about your health, we recommend that you contact a veterinarian so that he can offer you a full professional advice.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest that you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read the description in the section How to know if my dog is fat? , we recommend that you enter our Prevention section .