How Dogs Think
Knowing how dogs think requires dedication and observation to understand that they are creatures that reason, feel, and suffer. Besides canine educators and ethologists, it is the owners who discover the ways in which they reason and think about their daily lives.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Although they often react instinctively, dogs are animals that repeat basic commands, understand and distinguish different orders, and are even able to detect when we feel sad or excited.
Body language and verbal language allow our dog to understand and respond to certain stimuli that are in his environment. Want to know more? Continue reading this YourCatCareguide article to find out how dogs think .
The psychology of the dog
Although it is already a long journey, science has not yet determined in depth all the processes that occur in the mind of the dog, that is, we speak of a field yet to be developed. Despite this, we currently have canine educators, coaches and ethologists to help us understand certain behaviors of dogs. These are trained people who can deal more or less effectively with certain problems that dog owners may encounter.
We must know that the dogs organize themselves naturally to live in a pack , a natural hierarchy in which one of them predominates and that they perform in the wild, thus facilitating their survival. Domestic dogs show this behavior although we can see that it is a more social behavior due to the years of training and choice that have passed.
Studies confirm the dog’s mental capacities: understanding, memory, or communication. The dog responds to social stimuli through an area of the brain responsible for perception and learning. The mind of the dogs goes beyond that of other animals, their brains can be compared to that of a small child, capable of feeling empathy, love and sadness.
Let’s talk directly about psychology, how does a dog really think and how can we understand it ?
The dog has the ability to recognize people and other animals, just as many other species do. They have the ability to develop friendship or love, they are also able to memorize and repeat commands that we teach them and some can remember up to over 100 different words.
Each dog has a concrete mental capacity, and although we choose to adopt a Border Collie, one of the most intelligent dogs in the world , it will not always show a higher level of intelligence. It will depend on each particular case.
The dogs understand the environment through a highly developed sense of smell, through colors, shapes and music. Once understood they are able to communicate with sign language, position, orientation of the ears, position and with the movement of the tail.
Education of the dog
Puppies have a different language than humans , so trainers around the world are looking for different methods to foster communication.
Educating a dog is not only about teaching him tricks that make us laugh, but about rules of communication through which we understand and respect each other within a social group. Through education, coexistence becomes harmonious, positive and creates a bond between dog and family.
To encourage good communication between dogs and humans, YourCatCareguide offers you some advice:
- Dogs need a process of socialization when they are still puppies, that is, so that a dog can develop to its full potential and does not show inappropriate behavior of its kind should know its environment, other people and pets, objects and vehicles . It is key to getting a mentally healthy adult dog.
- When communicating with your dog you must use verbal and non-verbal language , so your puppy will understand the orders that you teach him better and if you suffer from hearing deficiencies you will be able to understand him better.
- Do not scold your dog if he has had inappropriate behavior hours before, we can say a firm “No” if we see that he had an attitude that we did not like, but we should never exceed punishment or use physical aggression (although we seem light, never what we should do).
- Using training methods such as the electric collar or the electric shock collar can generate a very great stress situation in the dog, who does not understand why this physical malaise occurs. Using this type of training encourages a negative reaction from the dog and even a redirection of his anger to a person or pet.
- Puppies are slow to learn an order or an indication of 5 to 20 times, it will depend on the particular dog. For this, it is fundamental that if we define a rule we are constant and we always apply it in the same level of exigency, otherwise our dog will be disoriented and will not understand what we expect of him.
- If you want a stable and calm dog, you should promote this behavior. The dog learns from its family and environment, for that reason, if it is a calm and calm person, it is probable that your dog also goes to be thus.
- Finally, we recommend that you use positive reinforcement to educate you. This is to offer you treats, caresses or kind words before a behavior that we like our pet. It’s the ideal form of education, plus it allows them to better remember what they expect from them.
Understanding dog psychology or knowing how dogs think is complicated and different in each case. If what you want is to understand the psychology of your dog in depth, it is important that you observe how you react or communicate, because there is no one who can understand your dog better than you . The love, the constancy and the affection that can offer you are basic tools to be able to understand the behavior and the attitude of a dog.