Home remedy for canine cough
Did you know that dogs also have a cough? In fact, this is a natural mechanism for alleviating or solving airway problems and is used by many animals.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
There are home remedies for canine cough that, as a treatment support indicated by the veterinarian, can help relieve the dog.
If you would like to know the most effective remedies, we recommend that you continue reading this YourCatCareguide article to find out not only the home remedies, but also the causes and some extra advice to address this problem.
What is cough?
Coughing is a reflex of the body that is characterized by the abrupt expulsion of air from the airways in order to eliminate secretions, such as mucus or substances that the animal has aspirated.
It is a condition that in many cases presents as a clinical sign of airway infection, heart problems or simply a cold. But it can be triggered by many different factors like allergies and bacteria. The dog may also have choked on a little water or a piece of food, among many other possibilities.
Even we are distressed when we see the coughing animal and want to do everything to help it improve. YourCatCareguide has some tips for you besides home remedies for dry cough or mucus.
How to help my dog?
Since the cough can have very different origins between them, from something very simple to something more serious, the best you can do for your bigeye is to follow a series of recommendations like these:
- If the cough is punctual and the animal expels what troubles you in the airway, you should give it a little water as soon as it calms down and returns to normal breathing .
- If it is a recurring symptom, you should visit your trusted veterinarian so that he can perform the necessary tests to identify the source of the cough and thus decide which treatment to follow.
- You should follow the treatments indicated by your veterinarian. However, while following his advice, you can supplement with home-made and natural remedies . These home remedies are good for helping the dog’s immune system. You can also consult your veterinarian prior to the use of these complementary remedies.
- It is very important that, throughout the treatment period, you reduce the physical activity of the dog to the minimum necessary. It is not a matter of completely eliminating physical activity, but of adjusting to the most basic needs. We do not want the dog to end up having anxiety and feeling bad. By decreasing activity levels, we prevent cough recurrence, exacerbate respiratory problems, and make the animal weary. Home is a great help in recovery.
- It is also recommended that if you normally wear a dog walking collar, switch to a harness(chest collar) that leaves the dog’s neck free.
Home Remedies for Dog Cough
There are many natural and easy-to-prepare cough-relieving remedies from our faithful companions, these are some of them:
- Medlar juice : It is a remedy highly recommended by veterinarians. It is one of the best natural remedies due to its high content in Vitamin A that will boost the dog’s immune system by helping the recovery of the affected mucous membranes. It does not serve any other fruit, you must remember that there are many toxic foods for dogs . Offer the juice to your dog in a bowl, just like you do with the water. You should try to have him drink one glass of juice a day for several days as he or she recovers or the days your veterinarian tells you to. If the dog does not drink this way, you can use a syringe (without a needle) and give small portions directly in the mouth, trying not to force it to avoid vomiting.
- Green leafy vegetables: These vegetables contain lots of vitamin C. This vitamin strengthens the immune system of dogs. We can also find this vitamin in vitamin supplements indicated for veterinary use. It is very important that you establish with your veterinarian the dosage indicated for your dog, which varies according to weight and other indicators. Be careful, too much of this vitamin can cause diarrhea.
- Coconut Oil : It is another very effective remedy against cough that also strengthens the immune system. This oil relieves the dog’s cough, strengthens energy and helps fight heart problems. You should mix two small spoons of coconut oil in the dog’s water and let it go drinking.
- Cinnamon : Cinnamon is another food supplement that serves as an antiseptic and is highly recommended to relieve the cough of our pet. If your dog likes it, you can put some in his food.
- Mint tea : A little drop of mint tea, with a syringe (without a needle) directly in the dog’s mouth, will help to decongest the airways, since this tea has expectorant and decongestant properties.
- Honey : Honey should be natural, without being processed or without additives. Honey will help soften the dog’s sore throat. You can give a small spoon every three to five hours. But be careful, you can not exceed what is recommended. A little exaggeration can cause digestive problems in the dog. Puppies under 1 year of age should not eat honey because it can damage the walking immune system is in development.
- Fumes and vapors: The use of vapors is highly recommended to relieve respiratory problems. You can lock the dog in the bathroom and let hot running water create steam. Do not leave the dog alone to avoid unnecessary accidents. You also use some medicinal plantindicated as expectorant and antitussic that benefit the respiratory tract, such as eucalyptus or echinacea. Always ensure that the medicinal plant you choose is not toxic to dogs . You should boil some leaves to create steam, and when you take it off, bring the dog very close so it will not burn it.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you wish to read the similar products to Home remedy for canine cough , we recommend you to enter our section of Other health problems .