Home Remedies for Lice in Dogs: Everything a Pet Owner Should know
In this article, we will discuss some important home remedies for lice in dogs. Your dog has an excessive and constant itching; in addition, he is restless and when he decides to examine his by observes the presence of parasites that move slowly, with a flat shape and grey color? This is the most obvious indication that your dog may have lice.
Initially, you should know two things: these lice do not infect people or any other pet other than dogs, since they are unique to dogs, and secondly, it should also be clear that this condition should be treated as soon as possible to avoid complications. If you want to use more natural treatment than the classic insecticides, in this article of YourCatCareGuide we show you the best home remedies for lice in dogs.
When Should We Use Home Remedies for Lice in Puppies?
Lice are external parasites that feed on the blood of their hosts and can carry some diseases. There are three types of lice that can affect a dog: Heterodoxus spiniger, Linognathus setosus, and Trichodectes canis.
Home remedies for lice in dogs are a good alternative for treating lice in dogs whenever the infestation is not serious, otherwise, although it is true that there are numerous natural substances that will reduce the parasite population, it will be very difficult to eradicate them altogether.
Here are some products that we will recommend:
How to assess if infestation is serious?
The most appropriate method is to go to the vet to know exactly if we have enough time to apply the home remedies for lice in dogs and be able to observe their effectiveness. Other ways to evaluate this is through a simple inspection of the hair, if you observe many parasites, body areas hairless or injured due to excessive itching, it is not a good idea to use home remedies.
In severe cases, we should resort to the specialist and follow a lice treatment on the dog from commercial products that will help us eliminate the pest completely and protect our dog in the future.
Home Remedies for Lice in Dogs
Some of the home remedies for lice in dogs are the same ones used to treat fleas with home remedies (as with conventional insecticides) as they have anti-parasitic and antiseptic properties. The most suitable for treating lice are as follows:
- Tea tree essential oil: It is very suitable due to its great antibacterial, anti-parasitic and antiseptic ability and will help that our pet does not suffer topical infections due to excessive itching. In this case, it is best to mix 5 drops of oil with the dog’s usual shampoo, this application can be repeated once a week.
- Citronella Infusion Massages: Citronella is an excellent plant repellent due to all the components it contains. To perform the massages you should add a handful of fresh citronella in half a pint of boiling water, turn off the heat and let stand until cool. Then filter and soak the solution on a cotton disc, applying it over the dog’s hair and paying attention to the affected areas.
- Lavender Essential Oil: It is very suitable due to its antiseptic ability and can also be applied directly to the skin whenever there are no open wounds. Add 5 drops onto a cotton pad and apply it to affected areas. If there are wounds it is preferable to add these 5 drops to the dog’s usual shampoo.
- Garlic: Although popular belief marks garlic as one of the most toxic foods for our dogs, the truth is that it is one of the most appropriate remedies for deworming our pets. In this case, it is recommended to add to the food a clove of garlic daily in large dogs and half garlic in small dogs, crushed into small pieces so that it is not very noticeable. At these doses it is not a toxic component to your dog, you can check it in Dogs Naturally Magazine’s ” Garlic: Friend or Foe? ” Veterinary study of April 2014.
- Artemisia: This medicinal plant contains essential oils that are effective against lice due to their insecticidal action. It will be necessary to infuse artemisia, then soaking this solution on cotton and applying it daily in the affected areas.
Here is a detailed video on how you can treat your dogs for ticks and flea.
Here are some products that we will recommend:
Nanos and recommends that all these home remedies for lice in dogs to be used at the same time, in fact, the most appropriate would be to opt for garlic as an internal application remedy and only an external application remedy.
Considerations to take into account
Generally we believe that a natural remedy is necessarily an innocuous remedy and although it is true that the risk is minimal, it is essential that you consult your veterinarian beforehand in the following cases:
- Your puppy is still in the puppy stage
- Your dog is old already.
- Is there any underlying disease
- Your dog is taking some medication
In the presence of these cases, home remedies for lice in dogs can cause some problems, which, regardless of whether it is mild or severe, should be prevented. In any case and as already explained, the idea is to use a commercial product to treat more serious cases.
Do not forget that prevention is essential to prevent your puppy from ever suffering an infestation of lice or any other parasite, so it is convenient to prepare a deworming schedule for your dog.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest that you take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.