Home Remedies for Flu in Cats
Did you know that there are home remedies for flu in cats ? Felines are prone to respiratory diseases, the most common is the cold.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Have you seen your cat less active than normal, looking for a source of heat, tearing and sneezing? You most likely have the flu.
It’s a slight problem though not least. Then at the ExpertAnimal we will give you all the information about the flu in cats and the remedies that you can offer at home, before going to the vet with him.
This respiratory disease can be simple and fleeting, but if we do not help our partner overcome it by treating the symptoms, there may be complications and secondary respiratory diseases. For the flu there is no direct cure, that is, it cures itself by letting the virus do its process and suffering the symptoms as lightly as possible until the disease ends, which can take about 10 days. When it is a mild disease we can try to follow a symptomatic treatment at home , but always taking into account that if our pet worsens, we must take it to the veterinarian immediately.
This disease in cats has nothing to do with what usually occurs in humans, so we can not infect each other.
The flu usually occurs in the winter months due to low temperatures but is also very common during the hotter months due to drafts and sudden temperature changes. Like most respiratory diseases that occur in cats, the flu, as well as the feline flu virus, are highly contagious diseases among them . So if you detect that one of your domestic cats is in the process of cold and lives with more cats, you should isolate it as much as possible during the viral process and wash your hands well before and after being with it to avoid contamination the others.
In healthy adult cats the process will last about 10 days , but small cats, nursing mothers, sick individuals and elderly individuals, a single cold can be complicated and lead to more serious problems such as pneumonia. Therefore, we recommend that if your cat is within the profile of some of the weakest individuals, in case of an influenza, take it directly to your reliable veterinarian. On the contrary, if your cat is in good health and adult, it can help you at home in a more quiet and economical way, being able to help you overcome the flu before the average 10 days that the process usually lasts.
The fact that our friend cools tells us that he is most likely to have had low defenses due to a lack of food . So we should strengthen your immune system , and confirm that you have no other problem or disease that may have caused the decrease of the defenses.
The best prevention is to follow the vaccination schedule that our veterinarian indicates for our pet. In addition, we must always be careful with the currents of air and the abrupt changes of temperature.
Cold Cat – Symptoms
To know if our cat has the flu , we must take into account the symptoms, which by luck are very evident and clear:
- Difficulty breathing
- Nasal and ocular secretion
- Mild fever
- Mild lethargy
- Slight loss of appetite
- Mild conjunctivitis and swelling of the third eyelid
- Throat irritation
Cat flu – how to help?
Let us now go on to explain a number of remedies and basic things you can do to treat the so uncomfortable symptoms of our companion’s illness flu. But you should bear in mind that if you have to give some type of medication, it is very important that it is prescribed by the veterinarian, as well as the indication of the dose. Remember that cats are very sensitive to medication and we risk poisoning them if we give them human medicines and / or the way we think it is correct, so always consult a veterinarian in these cases.
The care and remedies you can give your cat with the flu are as follows:
- It should help you eat, since it alone will eat very little or nothing because of the lack of appetite that the viral process causes. Since it is essential that the animal continue to nourish itself so that its immune system strengthens, we must help it by stimulating its appetite or giving it food ourselves. As due to the cold will be difficult for him to notice smells and tastes, give him hot food that has a lot more smell or, cold food that has a strong smell, like canned tuna. You can add in your usual ration a broth of chicken that will soften the ration and give much more flavor to this, thus facilitating the ingestion by your cat. If you find that it is difficult for you to swallow due to a throat irritation, we recommend that you crush the food and so it will be much easier for it to swallow and digest it. If you still do not eat alone, you should approach the food from your mouth and nose and even open your mouth a little and make you taste some of the food, maybe it will whet your appetite. Another way is to bar a foreleg with the food, because soon the cat will lick it to clean itself and maybe it makes you want to start eating something.
- It is very important that you provide warmth both at room temperature and with blankets where you can twist and sleep. This is the best home remedy for cat flu.
- We must provide you with fresh water in abundance , since this viral process causes dehydration with ease.
- Avoid all possible drafts that may exist at home. The drafts are completely undesirable because they usually worsen their condition.
- Help him wipe his eyes and nose so that tears and uncomfortable mucus build up that form scabs and cause hygiene problems. With a sterile gauze and saline solution you can clean the nose and eyes of your cat, using a different gauze for each eye and another for the nose, thus avoiding possible contagion. So our hairy patient will breathe and see better. In addition, if there is conjunctivitis you should wipe your eyes with some ophthalmic solution than the veterinary recipes. If you see that your nose is tightly covered, you should give saline solution inside your nose to help cleanse and decongest it.
- Increase the humidity of the environment with a humidifier. If you do not have a humidifier or vaporizer, give it steam baths, for example you can let the hot water run by keeping the bathroom door and window closed, thus collecting steam and allowing your cat to stay inside, accompanied by some minutes (about 15 minutes) breathing the steam. This will help you to move and expel mucus.
- Let him rest a lot and sleep soundly. Do not force yourself to play or take to the streets because you need to regain your strength.
- Once you have gone through the process, you may want to help prevent possible relapses. You can do this with natural supplements like homeopathy for cats that stimulates your immune system, for example beta-glucans.
- If the virus does not improve after 4 or 5 days , it is important to consult the veterinarian immediately , as it is likely that the condition has been complicated and should be treated as soon as possible.
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read more articles the less you may be interested in the following medications, please visit our Respiratory Diseases section .