5 games to play with your dog at home
Dogs are the quintessential pets, although companion animals are increasingly varied (allowing for better adaptation to each person’s lifestyle), the statement that the dog is man’s best friend is based on the great emotional bond that we can get to create with dogs and how this fact can enrich our lives in an extraordinary way.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
For this reason, dogs deserve our best attention, directed not only to prevent the disease, but also to cover all your needs and to enable them to have a great quality of life.
In this article by YourCatCareguide we will give you some ideas to be able to interact more with your pet and look for your complete well-being, and we will do this by showing you 5 games to play with your dog at home .
Games to avoid stress
Although we are fond of starting out, dogs are very susceptible to stress because they are very sensitive animals. The stress in dogs can be caused by several factors, such as lack of game, lack of exercise , loneliness, lack of interaction with other animals or the lack of sufficient attention by the human family.
If your dog suffers from stress it will manifest it as follows:
- He becomes nervous and easily startles at the slightest external stimulus.
- Your behavior manifests important changes, you may be shy and reserved or develop aggressive behavior with other animals or people.
- You can not relax and your sleep time decreases.
- You can stop relating to your owners and show lethargy.
- It is possible to defecate and urinate in the home as a manifestation of your nervous state.
If your dog manifests these symptoms, we recommend that you go to the vet, however we also indicate that to prevent and treat this situation should stimulate your pet properly, and one of the best methods to achieve this are dog games.
One game that works great for reducing stress and separation anxiety is the use of kong , a toy that rewards the dog’s intelligence.
The endless possibilities of a cardboard box
To start with the first options of canine games we will only need a cardboard box , it should be a clean, stiff box and wide enough for your dog to fit inside it.
You can place the box in an ample place of your house, if possible where there are not many objects that can interact with the dog like obstacles, and then the fun begins, since a simple cardboard box has numerous possibilities of game.
Here are some examples :
- Placing a treat in prize mode inside the box will get your dog to discover it and can get inside it, finding out then that this can be a great hiding place. In addition, you will be able to exercise it physically.
- Another way to get our dog to interact with the box is by showing him a toy he’s attached to, which we then hide inside the box.
- We can also hide the toys by following the opposite way, that is, put the toys inside the box and allow your dog to entertain them, then hide them in some corner of your house and let them look for them.
A very fun option for the cardboard box is that it is wide enough so that we can also enter , so we are playing with our dog completely, and this will motivate him. Using positive reinforcement with dog treats, clickers or hugs will make our pet enjoy even more.
Play hide and seek with your sense of smell
The sense of smell of a dog is extraordinary, in fact, it is the sense that less deteriorates with the passage of time, so this game is exceptional to continue to stimulate the elderly dogs . We should take advantage of the fact that the dog’s nose has millions of olfactory receptors to stimulate its cognition.
To start this game we should only have air fresheners, fruit or any object with smell (always watching so the dog does not ingest any substance that can be toxic), the ideal is to use smells that are unknown to our dog.
First, we let the dog smell the object for a while, then hide in some corner and he should look for it , while in this quest, it will be stimulating your nervous system.
You can also spread food on the ground for the dog to seek and relax. Although it is preferable to do so overseas, you can also do so indoors with puppies or elderly dogs.
Holding the toy
This game is a lot of fun and the most important is that it allows the dog to exercise physically and stay active. It’s perfect for rainy days.
You only need a toy that is attractive to your pet, a stick, a rope that is at least one meter long.
The game runs as follows:
- We tie the rope to one end of the stick and at the end of the rope we must attack the toy.
- We hold the stick and hide behind a wall or door, leaving the toy tied to the rope on the ground.
- We started to tweak the toy slightly on the ground to get our pet’s attention.
- Once our pet has decided to explore the toy, then we can move the stick in different ways and intensify the movement so that the puppy is very excited and entertained.
Lastly, a nice reward for our friend will be to drop the toy and give him all the freedom to play with it.
Can I borrow your toy?
This game will allow our pet to stay on alert and maintain a great physical condition. We only need a toy that is attractive to him and, above all, that it is soft , because it is important that in no time the risk of being able to hurt the teeth of the animal can be run.
Allow the dog to play freely until you decide to remove the toy, of course he will not leave you and here begins a fun game of pull and grab , in which we can incorporate various movements to allow our pet a greater physical exercise. If you have several dogs, believe that this game will work quite well.
Musical game to relax
Playing with our dog does not just have to stimulate or excite you, but it can also be a great way to relax.
The effects of music therapy are several, positive and already demonstrated. So you can relax your dog through music by following these steps :
- Look for a surface where your dog can lie down comfortably and relax.
- Stay by your side, as you calm down you can caress her.
- Put on music, dogs may like music that incorporates wolf howls or other wildlife sounds, this will stimulate your brain while keeping you relaxed.
After five minutes you will notice how your dog has changed and is completely calm. Discover also how to practice yoga with your dog in this article.