Fruits and vegetables for parakeets
Most people who decide to have a bird as a pet are charmed by the Australian parakeet or common parakeet, since it is a very joyful bird, that likes the human company and that also has a great intelligence .
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Like any other living thing, for our parakeet to be in good health you will need your basic needs to be covered, one of the main ones being food. In this article by YourCatCareguide we show you the fruit and vegetable parakeets , foods that are essential in your diet and that allow them to prevent various diseases .
Why do parakeets need fruit and vegetables?
There are many cares that the parakeet needs and we must take into account, although the feeding is one of the most important, since it influences notoriously in the health of our pet. The parakeet diet should consist mainly of a good mix of birdseed and millet, which is usually found in many poultry seed preparations.
It will be necessary to supplement this staple food with an extra amount of calcium and for this it is recommended to use a cuttle bone (sepia).
Obviously water is another element that should always be available as it participates in various functions, although with all these basic features the parakeet diet is not balanced. Because?
Budgerigars need a lot of vitamins and minerals and the best way to get them is through natural foods like fruits and vegetables, which are essential for the health of your pet.
Fruits for Australian parakeets
The fruits you can give your parakeet and which they like the most are the following:
- Red fruits : Bilberries, strawberries or cherries are excellent for preventing cardiovascular problems, usually rich in vitamin C and beta-carotene.
- Peach : Contains high antioxidant properties and helps prevent stomach cancer because of its anti-tumor properties. They are also good for the parakeet’s vision and dermis.
- Tangerine : Tangerine is very rich in vitamin C, so it is an excellent antioxidant. It also has fiber and a low amount of sugar.
- Orange : Like orange, orange is rich in vitamin C, but it is also excellent for preventing colds and for protecting the body in general.
- Banana : Banana is a very complete nutritional food, but we should not abuse it. Just give the parakeet once or twice a week in small portions.
- Melon : The melon is rich in vitamin A and E, in addition it provides plenty of water to the organism of the parakeet. It also helps to eliminate toxins from the body. We should limit its consumption because it is so rich in water as it can cause diarrhea.
- Watermelon: The watermelon is also rich in antioxidants and contains vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin B3. It is a very healthy food and rich in vitamins but we must regulate its consumption due to its high water content.
- Papaya : It is an excellent diuretic and is very rich in vitamin C and A. It also has antioxidant properties and confers a lot of fiber to the body.
It is important that all those fruits that have peels are peeled, also should be taken into account that the banana is not suitable when the parakeet suffers from constipation.
Vegetables for budgies
The vegetables that the budgies usually like the most are the following:
- Endive : The endive is a perfect vegetable to regulate the intestinal transit and, although in a small amount, it is carrier of vitamin C.
- Spinach : Offering spinach to the parakeet is a good option since, in addition to a potent anti-inflammatory, this vegetable has many vitamins and minerals, as well as calcium, very important for the health of the parakeet.
- Chard : The chard is very rich in vitamin A, iron and vitamin C. They usually love and can be a good help to avoid constipation.
- Lettuce : It confers vitamin B1, B2 and B3 but contains a lot of water, so it is important to moderate its consumption.
- Carrot : A carrot is a vegetable that should never be lacking in the feeding of the parakeet. Provides vitamins A, B, C and E, as well as minerals and antioxidant compounds.
- Tomatoes : Tomatoes are very rich in water (so, once again, should moderate their consumption) but are excellent for their content in vitamins A, B and C. They help keep our budgie’s digestive system healthy.
- Eggplant : It is an excellent vegetable for being diuretic, antioxidant and conferring fiber.
- Pepper : It has a high content of vitamin C, vitamin B6 and are one of the favorite vegetables of budgerigars.
- Zucchini : Zucchini is also a good option, although in this case it is imperative that it is always peeled.
How to give fruit and vegetables to the parakeet
Fruits and vegetables not only confer vitamins but are also very useful in preventing our parakeet from suffering from constipation and to make it always well hydrated. However, they do not need to eat them daily. Fruits and vegetables should be given on alternate days, at room temperature and previously washed with plenty of water.
As you may have seen, you can offer your parakeet a wide variety of foods, although it is advisable to use only those that have been mentioned, since some fruits and vegetables can be toxic , some examples of this are the following fruits: avocado, lemon , plums or onions. Caring for your parakeet’s food will make it healthier and happier.