Feline Eye Infections – Natural Treatments Can Help!
Eye infections are very common in cats, especially among kittens. Their immune systems aren’t fully developed yet, so they’re extremely susceptible to them. If left untreated, the kitten’s eyeball can swell, causing permanent damage, and even blindness.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
Symptoms of Eye Infections in Cats
- Watery or greenish-yellow discharge from the eyes
- Red or swollen eyelids. This pink part just inside the eyelid is called the conjunctiva, which is why an inflammation of the eye is called conjunctivitis, or “pink eye.”
- The iris, which is the colored part of your cat’s eye, may be dull or cloudy.
If your cat’s eye has been injured, this is a veterinary emergency, and your cat needs to see the vet right away.
Why Does My Cat Have Conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis usually shows up in cats with compromised immune systems. That’s why it’s so common in kittens. Older cats have usually built up a resistance to the viruses and bacteria that usually cause eye infections.
Your kitty may also have something in his eye. If he goes outside, he could get a grass seed in his eye. Not only is it irritating, but it will scratch the surface of his eye repeatedly, too, causing even more inflammation. If this is the case, you’ll probably need to take him to the vet to have it removed. Once it’s out, the irritation should clear up very quickly.
Allergies can also cause red runny eyes in adult cats. Other causes include herpesvirus, chlamydia, and mycloplasma.
Holistic Treatments For Feline Eye Infections
Feeding your cat a healthy diet is the best thing you can do to prevent health problems. Good nutrition is essential for your cat to be healthy.
A kitten with an eye infection probably has it because his immune system is not fully developed yet. Along with a healthy diet, you may want to boost his immune system with Genesis Resources Feline Immune Support Formula. This formula contains L-lysine, along with other vitamins and herbs to help support your kitty’s immune system during infections.
Eyebright is an herb that has been used for hundreds of years to treat eye infections and irritations, while goldenseal is a natural antibiotic. Animals’ Apawthecary Eye and Nose Drops contain both eyebright and goldenseal to sooth inflammation and fight infection.
Pet Alive Eye-Heal is very helpful in treating bacterial eye infections. It contains:
- Burdock – stimulates functioning of the immune system and is very useful in the treatment of dry eyes and eye infections.
- Rosemary – well-known as a topical antiseptic/disinfectant and pain-relieving herb. Several of the compounds in rosemary have also been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Celandine – this member of the poppy family boosts the immune system and fights infections. Also known to sharpen sight, promote healing and act as a pain killer
- Meadowsweet – has astringent, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and is excellent for soothing and healing infections of the eyes and conjunctiva.
Eye-Heal is very easy to use. Put a few drops on a damp, clean cotton swab and wipe your kitty’s eyes gently from inner to outer corners. Use new swab for each eye. Repeat three times daily.
Both of these remedies are also very helpful if your cat has scratched his eye, or has had something in his eye.
If your kitty has allergies, don’t feed him dry food, as it contains corn, wheat, and/or soy, which can cause many allergy problems. Commercial pet food also contains chemical additives and preservatives, which can bother a cat who has become sensitized to them. Natural food stores and online pet stores are the best places to buy good quality cat food.
Some cats are have allergies to airborne pollutants. A good remedy for cats with this problem is Inflamzyme. This combination of quercetin, bromelain, and other synergistic ingredients acts as a natural anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory as well as having beneficial antioxidant effects.