Feeding Newborn Puppies
Having to feed a newborn dog is a very complicated task that needs dedication and time . The dog is a very sensitive being who needs constant care on your part. Do not offer to do this if you do not have all the time available or at least one reliable person to help you.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
The most common reasons for having to feed a newborn dog are abandonment or rejection by the mother, and although it is a wonderful experience, we emphasize the importance of being the bitch to breastfeed. If you find yourself in this situation, read and follow all the recommendations we give you on ExpertAnimal, as the risk of dying is high, so be sure to feed a newborn dog in the following article.
Temperature and environment of the newborn dog
Throughout the world and generally linked to pet shelters or refuges, there are so-called shelters for dogs and cats that have just arrived in the world. If you believe that you will not be able to take care of the newborn due to the many demands that this requires, we recommend that you go to these people and leave them to your care.
- To begin with, you should create a stable environment for the puppies. A cardboard box, a comfortable carrying box or a basket will suffice.
- Dogs need a body temperature between 20ºC and 22ºC . It is very important to respect this temperature and never raise or lower it, even though it is winter because the dogs can not regulate it themselves. We can use a water bag that we will have to change regularly or a heating pad (always covered and protected with towels so that dogs can not gnaw on the cables). Be aware of temperature control.
- Cover the heat with a towel and top with a blanket, isolating them well from direct contact.
- Once the environment has been created and the dogs inside, we must cover the basket with a blanket leaving a gap so the air can pass through. It must look like a burrow.
- As an extra recommendation we can add a watch covered by a blanket that will simulate the heartbeat of the mother.
Dogs that are less than 15 days old are easy to identify because they have not opened their eyes yet. It is important to keep in mind that we should not touch them outside the feeding hours.
Feeding a Newborn Dog
The main cause of death in dogs is an incorrect feeding.
If you have found newborn puppies on the street, you should keep in mind that they are quite likely not to survive since they need to be fed every 3 or 4 hours . If you miss a meal, the chances of survival dwindle dramatically.
How to feed a newborn dog?
- Go to a clinic or veterinary center quickly and after explaining the situation, they will provide you with artificial breast milk without problems .
- It should have several bottles, one for each member of the litter. It is important that each has its own, because in the case of pneumonia or other illness, it would transmit very easily to each other. It is also important that we have one teat or two teats for each bottle, and you should also check which one fits best to the dog’s muzzle.
- Heat the milk a little and confirm that it is warm.
- Take the first dog (with a teat full of milk without a drop of air) and stimulate him to wake up. To feed it, the dog should be in the normal position of the dog (four-legged) and never hold it as a human baby, and then have to give the milk (about 10 milligrams).
- If you consume a little more milk no problem, what is important is to never feed it below these amounts.
- You should be very attentive when administering milk and if we observe that it makes an excessive noise, strange or that expels the milk through the nose we must take it immediately to a veterinary clinic. These are symptoms that the milk will have gone to the lungs. That’s why we stress the importance of not giving you milk like a baby.
- After you have ingested the milk, take a cotton ball or a wet washcloth for newborn babies and massage the genitals , you will see how you will do it at that moment. This procedure is usually done by the mother with the tongue under normal conditions. Therefore, it is important not to forget this step.
- Finally, after all the dogs have been fed, you should wash the bottles with boiling water, without using any detergent. To know which is the one of each dog, can make a mark or buy them of different colors.
Once the feeding process of each of the litter puppies has ended, you should put them back in the basket that should continue at the temperature indicated in the previous point. Never stop feeding a dog , although you may be asleep or listless.
It is very important that you follow with the milk intake every 3 – 4 hours, otherwise the newborn puppy could die. In addition, we should never owe milk left over for more than 12 hours.
From the first day you should weigh each dog and write down your weight on a table. To make sure they ingest the correct amount and develop properly, we should check that they gain weight every day by 10% .
By 2 to 3 weeks of life we must strictly comply with this feeding ritual every 3 – 4 hoursincluding, of course, the night. It is convenient that we have somebody who can help us in this process and who comes to our house to feed and watch if we are not there.
After 3 weeks we should begin to increase the time between each meal, this change should be made gradually. The first two days will be every 4 – 5 hours, the next every 5 – 6 hours and so on until 4 weeks of life. In addition, in these three weeks we should increase the dose up to 15 milliliters or 20 if we accept. We should never force him to drink more.
At 4 weeks you should see more restless, active and developed dogs. It is time to reduce your milk consumption by about 5% and give them for the first time a tablespoon of moist food, water-wet or pate rations. It should always be soft food.
From the moment you start to eat soft food we should gradually reduce the dose of milk until it reaches a month or a month and a half, in which it will feed only on moist food and special soft feed for puppies.
What you need to know more to care for a newborn puppy
If at the time of feeding them find some dog apathetic and that just moves, may be suffering from a voltage drop. Using a syringe without a tip, apply sugar water to the mouth or add a little honey to the muzzle.
It is important to know that bottle-fed puppies lack some natural defenses that breast milk has. So it’s important that you do not let them go on the street and do not let any dogs get close to them. Also, it is not advisable to give them a bath.
If you see fleas, ticks or some other parasite it is very important that you go to the veterinarian as soon as possible, he will know what to do. Do not try to take them yourself with repellents under any circumstances.
From 6 – 8 weeks will be the ideal time to go to the veterinarian to administer the first vaccines such as distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus , coronavirus, parainfluenza and leptospirosis. From there you should take it regularly to give you boosters and other vaccines that should be given at a greater age. It is also the ideal time to put the chip and register the animal in someone’s name, this is a very important thing in case you get lost or if something happens to you.
The odds of success of an entire litter are not always 100%, because sometimes and unintentionally it may not comply with all steps or the dog may be affected by some problem.
Next, let’s explain the most common breastfeeding problems :
- By drinking with the bottle, it can happen that the dogs choke. This happens sometimes due to a poor position at the time of feeding the dogs. It can become very serious and lead to death of the animal, for this reason we recommend that you consult the veterinarian as soon as possible, as it will show you how to use a dream.
- He sees the dog weak and weak. Is the dog taking the amounts it should? If you are not sure that you are drinking the right amounts, you should make sure you follow your diets by putting the exact amount in the bottle (and even a little more) and making sure you drink it. But it’s very important not to force it.
- The dog has a fever. This is a very common problem that can be a consequence of lack of stability in temperature or deficiencies in the food. You should consult the veterinarian urgently to make sure your life is not in danger.
Faced with any strange symptoms in the behavior of dogs should consult the veterinarianurgently because sometimes, and due to the weak immune system, will not have many chances to survive if you do not administer the treatment in a record time.
Now that you know how to feed a newborn dog , be sure to comment on this article and share your experiences and give suggestions!