Cat wakes me up at dawn – Why?
Accustomed to waking up 10 minutes before ringing the alarm clock? And at that moment, do you feel a sudden jerk in the face? Probably your furry friend wakes you up in the morning and will not let you sleep, will you? You may be wondering why your cat does this, if there is reason to worry, and what he can do to try to change this habit of his mornings.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
You’ve already wondered, “Why does the cat wake me up at dawn?” To start answering this question, we must know that cats are crepuscular animals, meaning that metabolism is more active during sunrise and sunset. normal for your feline friend to wake you up during these periods.
However, if this is already becoming a problem for you, follow the Expert and we will go deeper to find out how to solve this situation.
My cat in the morning, why?
As we mentioned earlier, cats are not nocturnal or diurnal. They are crepuscular creatures, which means they are awake and more active at dawn and dusk . Because? One of your ancestors, the African wildcat , can help us understand. He used these times of day to hunt for small prey, such as mice and mice, an instinct that has prevailed among felines.
The cat is more active at this time of day. Okay, but how can he know what time it is? It’s Simple: by the light of the sun. This is the most obvious sign that it is time to wake up. During the summer , for example, it can happen that the cat rises earlier than in the winter, since it dawns before.
However, you may wonder why it does this and what happens to your cat. There are several causes that can lead to this situation and it is essential to find the reasons to solve this problem. Then we will help you to analyze the symptoms and the situation.
Why do cats meow at night?
Does your cat wake you up? It all starts with a timid sound that increases the more you ignore? There are several reasons for this behavior. Let us know the three most common causes :
1. Your cat is hungry
If your cat feeds a long time before going to bed, you may start to order food sooner . Cats love routine, as we already know. So, if you put your food early, Monday through Friday, it’s logical to understand that on Saturday and Sunday he expects the same. Cats do not understand when it ‘s a weekend.
2. Your cat is sick
It is not usual for a cat to wake its owner in the morning because it is feeling some discomfort. However, it is important to discard this option to ensure the good health of your cat. You will know that your cat is mewing because of an illness if he has never behaved like this before. If you suspect that the cat is ill or if it has not received a review for more than 6 or 12 months, go to the veterinarian for a general review.
If, despite this, your cat is reaching old age or is already an old cat, check the following health problems:
- Arthritis : You will notice a progressive decrease in your feline’s activity level. The joints will begin to swell and it will have less flexibility. Also, it may meow in certain positions and you will notice a change in your hygiene habits. Learn more about arthritis in cats .
- Hyperthyroidism : This disease usually occurs in cats 12 years or older. There is no clear picture of symptoms and the diagnosis should be made by a veterinarian, who must perform a blood test and palpation of the thyroid gland.
- Arterial hypertension : blood in the urine, ocular hemorrhage, dilated pupils, blindness, seizures, nose bleeds and weakness may be observed.
If you notice any of these signs, do not doubt it! Consult your veterinarian so that the disease can be diagnosed correctly. Only then can a treatment be started to free your furry friend from suffering.
3. Your cat seeks attention
Do you pay attention when your cat catches me? Many cats meow for food or attention , others meow when they want to be caressed or brushed. For these situations, your cat may associate positive reinforcement followed by meowing. That is, your cat learned that after mourning there will always be a reward . Be it food, a new toy or a caress.
If you are away from home during the day, the most likely is that your cat will sleep while you are not. This may cause him to search for you in mewings for hugs and caresses when you arrive. However, the morning is one of the most active periods of the cat’s day, so it is not surprising that it vocalizes during these hours .
Does your cat wake you purring?
The cat is more active at dawn, in this period your metabolism is at peak activity. For this simple reason, it is normal for him to try to socialize early in the morning, arousing his owner with much purring.
Why do cats purr? Generally, they only purr with the members of their family nucleus. It is your particular way of expressing pleasure and affection . This is proof that your little fellow loves you and feels very safe on your side . That your cat’s purr is a very positive sign and yet, helps you to avoid the tension.
Also, your cat may notice when you are about to wake up . We humans have up to five stages of sleep during which bodily functions are altered. Your furry friend will know when you are about to wake up, through your breathing and your heart rate, and wait anxiously with much purring and affection .
How to make the cat sleep all night?
Now you already know why your cat has become an efficient alarm clock, and at dawn! On YourCatCareguide, we’ll offer some useful tips and advice to help you try to correct this behavior :
- Lower blinds before bed or use dark curtains. This prevents sunlight from reaching the environment where the cat sleeps, so he will not realize that it is actually day until he decides to get up.
- If your cat wakes you up by being bored, keep him entertained during the day with games, massages or a good brushing. However, if you have little time to devote to your feline friend, you can enhance environmental enrichment with homes and dens for cats, catwalks, nests, interactive and intelligent toys, food scatters, catnip for example.
- Feed your cat before bed and wait a while to refill your bowl after rising. The process may last for a few weeks, but you will notice that your cat will readjust your habits and start ordering food later.
- Use positive reinforcement at the right time. Try not to respond when your cat cries, wanting you to get up. Reply, includes removing it, doing “shhht” or caressing it. If your cat tries to get your attention, even if the answer is not pleasing to him, if you respond, you will be reinforcing him. It may seem very difficult, but it is best to pay attention and caress only when the cat is quiet and quiet, so it associates tranquility with the massage and a little attention.
Remember that closing the door of your bedroom, using aversives or scolding, will not give good results. Patience, affection and trying to understand feline psychology may be the best tools to solve this problem.
If after one or two weeks applying these rules strictly, no improvement is observed, it may be interesting to consult an ethologist , ie a veterinarian specializing in animal behavior.
If you want to see the last one , click the first one. , we recommend that you enter our behavior problems section .