Canola lice – Prevention and treatment
There are many people who decide to choose birds when it comes to welcoming an animal in their home, and there are several species of birds that we can adopt as pets and among the most characteristic and friendly we can highlight the canaries.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
They are cheerful animals that are easy to maintain in optimum conditions, however, they are also exposed to various diseases and are especially susceptible to parasitic infections.
In this article we talk about the prevention and treatment of lice in the canaries , in order to be able to offer the best attention to your canary.
The red lice in the canaries
Canaries can be seen to be affected by lice, being especially susceptible to the parasitic infection caused by red lice , a parasite that feeds on the blood of mammals and other vertebrates and attacks first the weaker birds, starting with the young, if exist.
It is a parasite whose presence can be difficult to detect since their habits are nocturnal and only manifest themselves at night. Continuous surveillance will be essential in order to detect red lice in time , since when the treatment is started later, it will be more difficult to completely eradicate this parasite.
How do I know if my canary has red lice?
To detect the parasitic infection caused by red lice it is imperative to observe the cage and the behavior of the canary at night. There are several methods that allow us to confirm the presence of this parasite:
- Inspect the cage at night by approaching with a flashlight, noting if the canary has any restlessness and craving for repeated scratching.
- Covering the cage with a white cloth at night, the next morning you can observe the white cloth with small red spots, and may even be that some parasite has been stuck to it.
- During the night we can also leave a small container with water and a few drops of vinegar, the next morning we can find some parasites drowned in it.
Another sign that we can observe in our canary is a characteristic pallor in the skin that indicates the contagion by hematophagous parasites, that consume blood.
Treatment of lice in canaries
Red lice are very difficult to eliminate, especially if it is not detected in time, so it is necessary to use a broad spectrum antiparasitic , in this case ivermectin, an active ingredient that can be applied in parasitic infections intern and extern.
However, overdose of this antiparasitic can cause neurological symptoms in the canaries and can even cause death in some cases.
Therefore, it is vitally important that you do not self-medicate your canary . Your veterinarian will tell you how to administer antiparasitic, what dose to use, and how often it is needed.
Prevention of lice in canaries
To prevent your canaries from being affected by lice as well as other external parasites, it is important that you follow these tips:
- Periodically clean and disinfect the cage as well as all canary accessories.
- Add apple cider vinegar to the water your birds use for your bath, this way you will be able to repel some parasites and it will brighten your plumage.
- Apply an insecticide or acaricide on a regular basis. Your veterinarian can inform you about the most appropriate product.
- Periodically monitor the behavior of your canary, it is important to detect parasitic infections as far in advance as possible .
This article is purely informative, in YourCatCareguide.com.br we do not have the capacity to prescribe veterinary treatments nor to make any type of diagnosis. We suggest you bring your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or malaise.
If you want to read more articles the following may have to say about Lice of the Canaries – Prevention and Treatment , we recommend you to enter our section on Parasitic Diseases .