Benefits of Fish Oil for Cats
There are a lot of food supplements on the market used by humans but also by animals. Among them we highlight the fish oil. But, is it necessary? What benefits our animals? If you eat commercial food, do you need a food supplement?
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
We have several questions about offering a balanced diet to our cats. We know that fish oil is animal fat present in fish but in the Animal Expert we want to show you what are the benefits of fish oil for cats . The advantages of including it in the daily diet of our felines and how to choose the best.
Properties of fish oil
Fish oil, as has been said in the introduction, is a marine source of fish fat, rich in essential fatty acids Omega 3, known as ” good fats .” It contains eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which are very common in commercial pet and human foods.
These acids can be metabolized directly by the body of our cat but we must emphasize that they lack the enzymes necessary to transform EPA from vegetable sources (such as flaxseed oil) or dried fruit that also have them. Explained this, we justify its incorporation through fish oil.
However, not all fish have it , it is found mainly in salmon, tuna, anchovies, sardines and herring. We do not find it in the quantities required in cod liver oil, so we recommend avoiding it.
We must always read the labels of the products to verify that the oil is as pure as possible, without chemical additives or preservatives, since this will weaken the quality of the oil and therefore its function.
Benefits of Fish Oil Consumption in Cats
- Improves your immune system by increasing defenses
- Improves cognitive functions, especially during old age
- Helps maintain healthy skin and skin
- Anti-inflammatory effect
- Acts against arthritis, arthrosis or wear of joint cartilage
- Regulates the level of cholesterol and triglycerides
- Decreases skin allergies
- Facilitates correct functioning at the renal level
- Reduces the chance of cancer
- Maintains a well functioning cardiovascular system
- Improves vision and hearing
- Promotes fertility
- Helps the development of the fetuses and pups
How to give fish oil to our cat?
To begin with, we must take some precaution with this supplement since it should not come into contact with light, heat or air. The recommended is to store it in liquid form in dark bottles in the refrigerator or refrigerator and buy quantities that we can use in 1 or 2 months to prevent the rancid affect its smell and taste, something we already know how it ends when we try to join the food of our cat, will not eat and we will have an extra problem.
There are also trademarks for human consumption that have flavorings that cats often reject. It is never easy to give something new to our cat, but fortunately we have several options:
- High-end foods : There are also trademarks for human consumption that have flavorings that cats often reject. It has never been easy to give something new to the cat but we have several options.
- Homemade food : whether we choose a raw or cooked diet we should add a supplement at the end. It may happen that in cases where we do not have fish oil, this is replaced by olive oil .
We should always consult a veterinarian to get a broader view of our cat’s food and in this way we can use this valuable natural supplement that our cat will thank daily.