Why does not my puppy want to eat?
Exercise your dog, play with it, teach it to go look for food, offer you healthy and delicious dishes and have tried various types of food, but still, it still does not eat?
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
If your puppy is not eating, it is normal for you to worry because it is normal for them to have a voracious appetite. This behavior may be a sign that your puppy’s physical or emotional organism is not behaving properly. Your puppy may not be eating for several reasons, understanding them is essential to your health and future.
If you are wondering why your puppy does not want to eat , we invite you to read the following article from YourCatCareguide in which we will give you some advice for your puppy to return to have your normal appetite.
The most common causes
A puppy with no appetite does not necessarily mean that he has a health problem that needs medical attention. Some puppies reject food because they do not like taste or texture, others because they are more demanding or because they may be suffering from anxiety , by getting used to a new family member or household. In these simple cases, vary the type of food and try to maintain the dynamics for your body to stabilize.
To find out if your dog does not like the food or is a pet complicated with his tastes, and to make him take an interest in food again try the following: Forget the food for a second and try to give him some meat, such as chicken. If he rushes to this type of food and rejects the other, it is because he is a dog with a demanding taste and therefore he will have to try to get used to the food he provides.
Anorexia in dogs is very different from the disease that occurs in humans. The canine is not the type of eating disorder in which the dog will see itself in the mirror with overweight and so it will force itself not to eat.
In dogs anorexia and lack of total appetite are due to other reasons. It is important to consult the vet to analyze the whole picture because it also happens that the puppy does not suffer from anorexia but have another health problem or simply be a picky dog to eat. Pay attention, therefore your puppy may not want to eat due to the following causes:
- Separation anxiety when moving away from her mother.
- Changes in the environment where he was born or stayed for a few months.
- The puppy may be going through the teeth exchange .
- Side effects of recent vaccines.
If your puppy refuses to eat for more than two days, take it to the vet right away to rule out any other illness that may be causing you anorexia. Anorexia may be the symptom of a major health problem such as:
- Respiratory infections
- Insufficiency in any organ
- Pain in any part of the body
Diseases that limit your appetite
If your puppy does not want to eat for anything in the world, it may be that he is suffering from a disease in which lack of appetite is part of the symptoms:
- Veterinary treatments in which you have been prescribed medications (side effects) or surgeries that cause you much postoperative malaise.
- Pain from some sore or blow . The puppy may stop eating for fear of further injury to the injury. Remember that you are a baby and that you relate one thing to another.
- Loss of appetite for parasites . Your puppy may have a parasitic infection or dog worms such as tapeworm, hookworm, heartworm and trichuriasis. Most puppies are born with roundworms that can cause diarrhea, weight loss and loss of appetite. You may also suffer from an external parasite infestation that bothers you. Eliminating fleas and ticks is key.
- Intestinal problems such as gastritis, reflux or hormonal imbalance, as well as fever and oral diseases, will starve any puppy.
- If your pet has kidney disease, mucous membranes, eyes, digestive system or skin, the discomfort and discomfort will make you stop eating.
Solutions to help you eat
- Heat the dry food a little, 15 seconds should be enough. This can release the smell and get their attention and at the same time make the feed is not stiff. Keep your nose clean so the smell of food can get better and may stimulate your appetite.
- Add some water from vegetable broth, chicken or olive oil to your dog’s food. This will soften food and make chewing easier if you are in the tooth replacement phase, as it may be that the feed is too hard for it.
- Give it some vitamin supplement that contains a good amount of omega 3 to stimulate your appetite.
- Focus on your diet to be of the best possible quality. Varies in types of foods: dry, moist, snacks and canned foods of different flavors. When eating better, keep the same food groups over time.
Do not forget that the puppies are very sensitive animals , because they are in development period. Lack of water and food can dehydrate and weaken them easily, leading to illness and even death.
If you see that you are weak, try to give the food with your hand to help and take it to the veterinarian . If none of the above works and your puppy still does not want to eat, you may have some illness, so take him to the vet as soon as possible.