Forbidden foods for rabbits
The power of the rabbit , regardless of their race (type belier , American chinchilla or toy or dwarf ) should be based on the consumption of hay, fruits and vegetables recommended and feed. But the fact that the rabbit is a herbivorous animal does not mean that it can consume all kinds of plants because there are some foods that are harmful and harmful to your health.
CAT Spraying No More REVIEW
Cat Spraying No More is an excellent opportunity for the cat owners to learn about training the cat with a systematic approach. It helps in preventing the unwanted litter issues and other risks of bad feline behavior as well.
In this article of YourCatCareguide we will show you the forbidden foods for the rabbits and explain to you some of the main reasons never to offer them.
Keep reading and find out which are these forbidden foods, be they homemade or of natural origin. Find everything you need to know about harmful foods for rabbits next.
Vegetables forbidden to rabbits
Vegetables should be offered to our rabbit on a daily basis, however there are some varieties that are really toxic, so its consumption is forbidden. Some vegetables are also not recommended due to their high sugar content or low digestibility. Here are the most dangerous vegetables for rabbits :
- Potato : contains a large amount of a very toxic alkaloid called solanine. Solanine is eliminated by boiling it, however it remains a very high calorie food rich in starch, which can lead to serious digestive disorders. It is advisable to never offer potatoes to your rabbit.
- Yam : As with potatoes, this tuber contains high doses of solanine and large amounts of sugar. Its consumption should be avoided completely.
- Garlic : used for years in small portions to prevent the appearance of intestinal parasites. However, it is not a food that should be offered on a regular or undiluted basis. It is a food that causes severe stomach upsets.
- Onion : In addition to causing poor digestion, the onion contributes to the loss of red blood cells, which causes weakness and dizziness in the rabbit. In the long run, its consumption can cause severe anemia and even death.
- Turnip : the turnip itself is very indigestible to the rabbits, however the leaves are an excellent prize that they like.
- Leek : its effects are similar to those of onion, it is a food that causes very bad digestion in the rabbit. In addition, leeks give rise to the appearance of gases that the rabbit can not expel.
- Mushrooms : In addition to the really poisonous mushrooms, other varieties like the classic mushrooms remain very dangerous for rabbits. In the long run they can cause the appearance of tumors.
- Peas, rhubarb and cherovia : These three vegetables have in common an excess of sugar, which can lead to intestinal, brain and kidney problems. It is very important to choose vegetables and fruits with low sugar content.
- Broad beans : this food is very indigestible to the rabbit organism.
Forbidden fruits for rabbits
Fruits are, in general, a food of plant origin that should be administered carefully to rabbits. Although they are foods that are allowed or suitable for consumption, their high sugar content does not make them recommendable as usual food. Some fruits can be consumed by the rabbit only 1 or 2 times a week . However, there are fruits that under any circumstance should be given to rabbits. Here’s what they are:
- Banana : This food is very rich nutritionally speaking and has a high content of vitamin B1. However, it is a food that contains enough sugar and is difficult to digest. In addition, it should never be given green, but rather mature. Therefore, it is best to avoid the consumption of this food or to offer it in very few quantities.
- Graviola : besides being very rich in sugar, graviola is a fruit that also has excess fat for your rabbit. Your consumption should be avoided or it should be offered in a small space and in small portions. Not a recommended food.
- Figs : Although it is a very rich fruit and with many properties, the fig has a high amount of sugar which, as we mentioned, is very harmful for the rabbit. It is a fruit that should be avoided.
- Damascus, loquat, plum and peach : these three fruits, while offering vitamin A and fiber to our little friend, have in common the presence of cyanide in their seed. For this reason, we must cut them and wash them and never offer pieces near the seeds.
- Avocado : contains a toxic compound called persin which is actually harmful to the health of our rabbit as well as to many other pets. It is a very harmful fruit that should never be offered. Also contains lots of fat.
Remember that it is very important never to offer fruits that contain seeds, very harmful for their cyanide content. This can slowly cause the onset of tumors and diseases related to the intestinal system. Before you offer some fruit, cut it into pieces and wipe it well.
The vast majority of decorative plants we have at home are toxic to rabbits. There are some poisons because they have toxic elements in their composition, and others that are non-toxic, but cause gases.
The intestinal tract of rabbits is unable to eliminate the gases through flatulence. For this reason, these toxic gases are incorporated into the bloodstream of the rabbit causing enterotoxemia (intestinal toxins enter the blood), something that can be fatal for rabbits. Here are the prohibited plants:
- Asiatic spark
Excess carbohydrate is very harmful to rabbits, since they are foods of very difficult digestion, before a disproportionate consumption of these products we can cause the fermentation of the stomach of the rabbit, damaging its intestinal system. You should avoid:
- Sweet cereals
All kinds of cakes, fruit in syrup and sweets should be avoided, since refined flour and sugar are harmful to rabbits. This type of food can have serious consequences on your body, so you should never offer it.
Dairy and other forbidden foods
The dairy are very harmful to the rabbits. Cheeses, butter and any derivative of milk should never be offered to rabbits. You should also never give dog or cat ration since they have animal proteins, which are indigestible to rabbits.
The importance of offering quality hay
The hay is an indispensable part of a healthy diet for the rabbit. However, hay varieties are healthier than others. The point is to avoid as much as possible the ones that contain the most calories.
Our rabbits do not practice as closely the same physical activity as wild rabbits. Therefore, we must satisfy your appetite with hypocaloric hay varieties . Hay called Meadow Hay , and Timothy grass , are most appropriate for a rabbit with low activity.
Alfalfa should be given in small amounts because it has many calories. It is a suitable food for rabbits in the process of recovering from some disease.
How do I know if my rabbit has been intoxicated?
While controlling the eating of your rabbit, sometimes we can forget about some properties that fruits and vegetables have. For this reason, we added this last point in which we will show you some of the usual symptoms of rabbit intoxication :
- The rabbit has not eaten for more than 12 hours, in which case it may be facing a serious health problem.
- I have not defecated or urinated for 12 hours.
- Obvious symptoms of apathy, pain, discomfort or poor activity.
- Excessive growth of teeth .
- Feces or urine unusual, very liquid, with mucus or abnormal color.
- Abnormal spasms and movements.
- Vomiting and convulsions.
If you notice any of these symptoms it will be essential to consult the veterinarian as soon as possible to perform an emergency examination. Do not forget that the rabbit is a very delicate mammal that needs an active intestinal transit to feel good. Taking it quickly to the specialist can save your life.